Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Planning to install XP over Vista

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Elusival

Elusival

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:05 AM

I think vista needs more Ram to run a computer than XP so if I put XP on it will be quicker.

I have some disks. An XP Home with one registration keycode which is in use on my other computer. Can I use that same code on another computer? If not I have a Dell windows Media Edition Disk with the code. Would that one at least work on this PC which isnt built by dell. It was built custom built by me not a company.

Also what disks will I need to reinstall stuff back on. Like graphics card is the only thing I can think of. Everything else can be gotten from online right?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:31 AM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:44 AM

<<An XP Home with one registration keycode which is in use on my other computer. Can I use that same code on another computer?>>

No. Doing so would (IMO) probably just result in the license being declared illegal by Microsoft, with neither install having lega; privileges.

Louis

#4 Elusival

Elusival
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:35 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/b4WsovsUYIvOdsmEqAhmCLk

<<An XP Home with one registration keycode which is in use on my other computer. Can I use that same code on another computer?>>

No. Doing so would (IMO) probably just result in the license being declared illegal by Microsoft, with neither install having lega; privileges.

Louis

Is there a site I can use to get a free key code for Windows XP home then? I know this site doesn't endorse that but if the Dell Copy doesn't work I will need a product key for my home edition disk.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:05 AM

<<Is there a site I can use to get a free key code for Windows XP home then?>>

Since you already know that Microsoft has not become a charitable institution which dispenses free licenses for products it sells...the answer seems self-evident to me.

Pursuing this line of questioning...will result in this topic being closed, since it seems that your main thrust is in direct conflict with forum rules of which you are aware.

Louis

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:39 AM

You have a very good computer for which you can run Vista on. You are running a 32bit OS on a 64bit processor so your RAM will be limited to 3.25Gigs of RAM. I would recommend upgrading to 64bit Windows Vista and getting 4 gigs of RAM and your machine will scream.

Your system is pretty identical to the one I have: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/YbYxXDwHMhK8tQqOP47e83f minus the GTX 480 and the Quad Core.

I ran the above system on 64bit Vista Ultimate with all the goodies turned on with 4gigs of RAM and a 8800GTS 640Meg Video Card just fine. Going back to XP will just frustrate you even more.

#7 Elusival

Elusival
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:47 AM

<<Is there a site I can use to get a free key code for Windows XP home then?>>

Since you already know that Microsoft has not become a charitable institution which dispenses free licenses for products it sells...the answer seems self-evident to me.

Pursuing this line of questioning...will result in this topic being closed, since it seems that your main thrust is in direct conflict with forum rules of which you are aware.

Louis

Ok sorry.

You have a very good computer for which you can run Vista on. You are running a 32bit OS on a 64bit processor so your RAM will be limited to 3.25Gigs of RAM. I would recommend upgrading to 64bit Windows Vista and getting 4 gigs of RAM and your machine will scream.

Your system is pretty identical to the one I have: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/YbYxXDwHMhK8tQqOP47e83f minus the GTX 480 and the Quad Core.

I ran the above system on 64bit Vista Ultimate with all the goodies turned on with 4gigs of RAM and a 8800GTS 640Meg Video Card just fine. Going back to XP will just frustrate you even more.

Oh thanks. Thats valuable information. At the moment I have 2 gigs of RAM don't I. Does the type of RAM make a difference (I remember hearing there are different qualities) plus maybe certain types won't work in this computer. I think I spent £20-30 on RAM and put it in this little Dell office PC to play games but it didn't make much difference at all. So could I take that out and put it in here? Could you possibly paste a link for a manual on how to put in RAM since I have no clue how to do it.

I might just put 1 gig in since my 32 bit OS can handle that (being under 3.25 gigs of RAM) and see how it is. If I do upgrade to 64 bit OS, what is the name of it the OS, Windows Vista Ultimate? or Just Windows Vista 64 bit? And if i did that, could I put up to 6.5 gigs on RAM in?

I thought this computer was starting to get outdated, we got it a few years ago and it's slowed down a lot. There's a lot of dust inside it and stuff so maybe I could clean it out to help performance.

It's just you say we have similiar computers but you have a quadcore which is like twice as good as a duo core isn't it (which I have) plus a better graphics card. So I think there's probably a huge difference between our computers. Would RAM purely help it? I mean I'm only playing an old game. It's a free online first person shooter called Soldier Front but im an addict and need to keep my computer fast to play at my best.

If RAM doesn't make much difference would it be possible to add another duocore to have 2 x duo core processers or would I need to get a quadcore? Plus for graphics card, my game doesn't have good graphics but would that help.

Thanks for explaining, really appreciate it.

Oh and would I possibly benefit from doing a drivewipe, getting everything off then reinstalling? When we got it, the computer was overclocked a little (I have no clue how) but after a while we had to reinstall so I think we lost that settings.

Edited by Elusival, 01 December 2010 - 04:50 AM.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:38 PM

I would highly recommend upgrading your RAM or turning off the performance features like Aero.

#9 Elusival

Elusival
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:56 AM

Performance features like Aero? What is this and how do I do it, plus what other features can I turn off to improve it.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:12 AM

What is Windows Aero?

Here is how you disable Aero: How do I disable Windows Aero?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users