Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista will only start in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RyanLL

RyanLL

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:41 AM

Computer Information:
Dell XPS M1530
System type: 32 bit
Windows Edition: Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 2

Background:
My computer has always worked fine behind my firewalled home router, but I'm currently 2.5 months into using it in a deployed location where many people share what I believe amounts to an unsecured network for personal use. The connection here is also extremely slow, so I may not be getting required updates from Windows or McAfee. Recently, my computer started having problems shutting down and especially in booting up. This was occuring more and more frequently and I'd have to hold down the power button, wait for it to force itself to power down, then try again. 1 time in 4 it would boot up properly and would work perfectly as long as I didn't shut it down again. Today...it started not booting up at all...no matter how many attempts...

Problem:
When I power my computer on, it briefly shows the little bar that says it is starting up at the bottom of the screen that I usually get right before I type in my password, then that bar disappears and the password box doesn't come up. The screen just stays blank, as if nothing is happening. It seems that no matter how long I let it sit, it just stops at this point. If I power it down by mashing the power button for a few seconds, I can attempt to reboot again. hitting F8 does allow me into Safe Mode.

What I've already done:
1. Before I deployed I backed up my entire machine onto my Seagate Freeagent External Hard Drive (I have no idea how to use this to restore my system though...I just figured it might come in handy)
2. I've started it up in Safe Mode and am currently running a full scan on McAfee AntiVirus Plus (while in Safe Mode), which is now 41% complete and hasn't found anything.

Other info:
My Windows disks are back at home and I doubt that I'll be able to direct my wife to the correct spot in the garage to mail them to me in Afghanistan...

What should I do now???

Edited by RyanLL, 29 November 2010 - 10:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RyanLL

RyanLL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:13 AM

UPDATE:

McAfee concluded it's scan in Safe Mode and did not detect any issues.

Following that scan, I restarted the machine and got the same result, the little loading bar was on for a second, then the blank black screen...please suggest additional measures.

#3 RyanLL

RyanLL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:46 AM

UPDATE:

Still floundering through this...

After poking around on the internet some more...I'm downloading a Recovery Disc for Vista. Not sure exactly what this will accomplish...hopefully it will fix whatever random file is messed up and is causing this problem.

Before I run this...does anyone know if this will do what I hope it will?

Can it hurt to run this: http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/download-windows-vista-x64-recovery-disc/ ?????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users