Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Latest Windows 7 "experience"...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Qwazert

Qwazert

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 03:50 AM

So, I thought my computer was freezing while watching videos...(previous issue) but as it turns out, it will freeze whenever it wants to. The latest was when I was using WinAvi All-in-one Converter to convert an .avi file to DVD format.
Once it reached the 99% stage, the computer froze...COMPLETELY! There was no way I was getting it back! Ctl-Alt-Del did nothing, couldn't even bring up the Task Manager...she was dead in the water!
So, I pushed the PC's RESET button and let her reboot into SAFE mode. After floating around in safe mode for a while, I restart the machine and this is when the "fun" starts. She won't even POST. There is power, I can hear the HD and CD spinning, all the onboard lights are on, but she won't even POST.

I have to turn it off...UNPLUG it, and wait for the internal LED to go out before I plug it back in. Only then will she restart. MB is an ASUS M2N-E...apparently capable of running 32 and 64 bit, and I've installed every NEW driver I could find. This board and machine passed the Windows7 test to see if it was compatible.

Any opinions? I'm getting ready to go back to XP...

Edited by Qwazert, 29 November 2010 - 03:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:06 AM

More info Please, did you build this "Puppy"? Upgrade it to windows7, buy it at a retail store?Asus and ASRock mainboards are good boards what is the complete Model No. of this Asus board? What processor are you using? Which edition of 7 are you running 32 bit or 64 bit? I got lot's of questions, more help is on the way too!Alan
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:15 PM

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Qwazert

Qwazert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:34 AM

Thanks to all for the suggestions and feedback but in the end, I just go so frustrated with W7, that I reformatted and did a clean install of XP Pro.
Once installed, the Device Manager identified some hardware differently than what W7 did...I guess the Microsoft advisory software (that said I could run W7 on this machine) was "mistaken".

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users