Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W7 resolution stuck on 800x600 and 16bit colour

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lee64

Lee64

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:51 AM

Hi,

This is an edited version of my initial post on the subject of my wife's PC resolution problem in the WTT Forums that had no luck with a solution. I thought it was worth a try here too as it really is becoming a bother:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=115347&st=0

This realy is not a Gamming problem, so it was in the wrong section there (Gaming) at WTT, but the section was new and I put it there to give it some support.

Her specs:
MB: Gigabyte GA-EP4ST-UD3LR (revision 1.3 which took this MB from DDR2 to DDR3)
Chipset: Intel P45
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 @ 2666MHz (not overclocked)
RAM: 4069Mb (2x 2048 DDR3 x 1333MHz)
VC: NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT (not overclocked)

The problem is that regardless of driver and trying it out with 3 different screens (including my own Samsung Syncmaster, on W7), I cannot get anything but 800 x 600 resolution in W7 and 16 bit colour. On XP there is no problem. But on W7, regardless of or screen (tried 3) or Video Card (tried 2), The problem seems impossible to resolve.

I have tried to solve the resolution problem on W7 with the latest display driver and several other earlier versions but to no effect, including the driver that came with the 9800GT card (Vista and W7 compatable). I just cannot get anything but 600x800 and 16 bit colour.

As I am the Tech. dungeon keeper for all PC problems here at home, this is all my fault of course!

Cheers,
Lee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:35 PM

It looks like you've made a typo, you posted GA-EP4ST-UD3LR, and I'm guessing that this should have been GA-EP45T-UD3LR?

Is this copy of Windows 7 the 32-bit or 64-bit version?

Edited by dc3, 29 November 2010 - 12:50 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Lee64

Lee64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:11 PM

Thanks for the reply dc3.

Yes a typo. GA-EP45T-UD3LR is correct.

32bit.

Cheers,
Lee

PS Edit.
Apart from W7, no software has been added except Online Armor, Melwarebytes pro version and Avira freeware Antivirus. Being unable to solve the resolution problem since it's first install, W7 is not being used. so no additional software yet. Motherboard drivers and bios have been upgraded.

Not in the original thread is the fact I have have done a complete wipe of the W7 drive partition with UBCD and then a fresh install of w7. I have repeated this twice over a couple of weeks but it did not help. I also tried a different Intel CPU, an early D dual core, just in case and another more powerful Corsair PSU 650w than her Antec Neo 520w.

Edited by Lee64, 29 November 2010 - 02:43 PM.

#4 Trezax

Trezax

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 03:57 PM

I think you have a problem with your graphics card. Try to test another one to see if the problem get fixed.

#5 Lee64

Lee64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:42 PM

I think you have a problem with your graphics card. Try to test another one to see if the problem get fixed.

It will help if you read the original thread through from the link in my 1st post, as otherwise I'm going to be asked to repeat steps that have already been tried that failed.

There are other things that have been tried but too lengthy to write here, but easy to read from the original link. Here is a quick rundown though:

Apart from installing a new mobo, I've tried 3 different screens, 2 different Video Cards, a different CPU, 2 PSU's and lots of different Display Drivers. The latest W7 updates, mobo drivers and bios are installed.

If it was a mobo problem, a different OS would make no difference, but it does. No problems at all with XP at any resolution or 32bit colour. So by deduction, W7 (or a lot of Nvidia drivers) seems to me to be the only possible culprit, as it's the only thing left on the PC that is causing a problem.
I guess there may be a lurking Nvidia Vista/W7 driver out there we have not tried yet that may work, as we haven't tried all of them,just quite a few. It's as if the Display driver (any so far), just does not quite 'sync' with W7.

Cheers,
Lee

Edited by Lee64, 29 November 2010 - 05:47 PM.

#6 Lee64

Lee64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:03 AM

Here is a new discovery.

I have just found out that the bios on the graphics card is from 2000, which could well be the cause of the problem.

Does anyone know how to upgrade a Graphic card bios? It could solve this problem.

Cheers,
Lee

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:10 AM

Have you tried this driver?

I also had thought of updating the BIOS. See if this update helps.

Edited by dc3, 01 December 2010 - 11:11 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Lee64

Lee64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:21 PM

Thanks for the research dc3.

The PC currently has the F10 bios installed which came out about a month after the F9. The only difference between the two was an audio
functionality fix.

The driver we already have and have tried.

I did try to update the Video Card's bios after finding the card's FCC ID code on a tag on the card. I then went here:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/91 and followed their link here: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/page/fcc, to enter the code in
and find out the card's (real) manufacturer to track down the bios.

No joy I'm afraid. An unknown FCC ID code FKP 0905803237

Cheers,
Lee

PS edit: From a bios / graphic card resource (MVTechNet), they considered it's not a bios problem but rather an issue related to W7, the Graphic Card and Intel "not talking to each other properly". Out of Sync?

Edited by Lee64, 01 December 2010 - 04:39 PM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:37 AM

It's late in the game to be asking the obvious, but have you tried to manually change the resolution?

#10 Lee64

Lee64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:40 AM

It's late in the game to be asking the obvious, but have you tried to manually change the resolution?

Of course I have.

This is my latest synopsis:

If anyone has a DDR 3 motherboard, don't fit it with an old generation 9800GT card. Works perfectly with DDR2. but not the later with Intel based systems (there is a good chance that they will not "talk to each other" regardless of driver or bios).

I have a DDR2 system and her card works fine in my PC.

I will be replacing the card for my wife's PC with a new generation Radion 5770 (best bang for the buck) and I might go SLI in my system with her 9800GT, as I already have one fitted that works great!

Cheers,
Lee

Edited by Lee64, 02 December 2010 - 04:01 AM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:05 AM

An interesting development. Would you please post a link to this information so that others can read about this?

Let us know how this works out.

#12 Lee64

Lee64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:09 PM

http://www.mvktech.net/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,34/func,view/id,59507/catid,10/

My wife posted the above (and initially communicated by private em before posting), but we are not taking any further action.

My own 9800GT Gainward which has a very recent bios in it, will not work in her Intel DDR3 PC either at anything but 800x600. Her card with it's older bios, works fine at any W7 resolution in my DDR2 AMD PC.

It has to be a DDR3 / Intel issue with 9800GT cards used for W7. Updating the bios on her card will obviously make no difference, as a different bios has been tried (my 9800GT).

A mew generation card should fix the issue, as this has been dragging on for months now and I'm slowly going crazy :))

Cheers,
Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users