Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to start XP OP/Sys - BSOD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Snakedust

Snakedust

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:24 AM

I've found two or three other recent threads with this Stop error problem. After turning off auto-reboot, I get the XP splash screen briefly, then a BSOD with generic "A problem has occurred..." and this Technical info:

STOP: 0x0000007B (0xB84C7524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

While surfing last night, adobe reader opened without my prompting and then I received a system dialog box stating that a svchost was terminate, and that microsoft was sorry for the inconvenience. I'm assuming that I'm dealing with a rootkit/bootkit at this point, as the problem showed up when I rebooted this morning.

What I've done so far (in order). After each step, attempted reboot but none of these steps solved the boot-up problem:

- used the Dell recovery CD to attempt to repair XP installation;
- from the recovery console, ran chkdsk /r ;
- booted system via USB flash drive using bitdefender rescue, this found two or three viri and quarantined or deleted them, but did not fix problem of getting into the program;
- booted system via USB flash drive using Kapersky 10, which located 3 trojans, 1 virus, and an infected java archive, but clearing these did not get rid of the BSOD,

I can probably handle the rootkit if I can get into the machine - I regularly use many of the tools discussed in other posts. However, that's a big problem - getting aboard - right now. Suggestions / guidance would be appreciated.

Ok - it appears that you're seriously overloaded. Cancel the request. Since post above, I've done the following:

- mounted second drive with windows xp installed;
- run gmer, which finds nothing on the affected drive, which is not completely surprising since I'm not trying to boot THAT drive;
- run Mbytes, SuperAntiSpyware, tdkiller (just for the heck of it), and rootrepeal - none of the rootkit killers found anything, Mbytes and SAS found a couple more minor infections and deleted them;
- swapped cables and attempted reboot, which to my surprise let me finish the "repair" started last night - but upon reboot the same BSOD recurred.

At this point, I'm simply going to go the shorter route of moving all apps to the second drive, and then do a low-level reformat of the affected drive. I may continue to dig around, though, because Im' just dying to know the cause of the problem. Thanks anyway.

Snakedust
mcse/mcsa

Edited by Snakedust, 29 November 2010 - 07:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snakedust

Snakedust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:52 PM

Go ahead and close this - I'll work it out on my own.

Snakedust
mcse/mcsa

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:16 PM

Closed as requested. ~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users