Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I restore my desktop?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bittermelon

bittermelon

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:55 PM

My desktop has "reverted" to a former state. Many of the icons disapppeared. Those that remain are still functional, to a certain extent. For example, IE runs, but my favorites are no longer there. And the home page reverted to the Dell home page (it's a Dell computer). Also my speakers no longer work. On Skype the other party can hear what I am saying, but I cannot hear them. Same with YouTube, no sound.

What do I need to do to get back to my desktop set up? Thanks for helping.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 max7bg

max7bg

• Banned
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:00 AM

Hi,

Have you tried System Restore?
To restore it to an earlier time?

Max

#3 bittermelon

bittermelon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:18 PM

Tried system restore to multiple points up to 2 months' back. Did not work. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

#4 bittermelon

bittermelon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:08 PM

OK some new info. I checked my c drive and found under documents/(my name)/desktop all my desktop icons and files. But there is another one under documents/(my name).DFDCR8C1/desktop that now has the truncated desktop icons. So the question is how do I get back to my old desktop? Is it possible to just rename the new sub directory and Window will revert back to my old desktop? Or has my old desktop somehow corrupted? If I just copy all the icons from my old desktop to my new desktop would that fix my problem?

Thanks

#5 teaside

teaside

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:23 PM

Go to http://www.enterra-soft.com/ and scroll down to the free version of Icon Keeper. Works like a charm for me. After installing just right click on blank desktop space and hit save. That's after you get the icon layout back to where you want it of course. :)
You might also want to look at http://www.midiox.com/html/desktop.htm another freebee.

Edited by teaside, 04 December 2010 - 01:15 PM.

#6 bittermelon

bittermelon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:13 PM

Thanks. It turns out I did have some virus and malware. So your suggestions may be useful in the future, but no help for me this time.

BTW I did not get notified about your reply, thus the delay in answering.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:19 PM

It looks like part of your problem is an infection. I would suggest that you follow the instructions in This Guide starting at Step 6.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it HERE Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to try to resolve them.

Edited by dc3, 06 December 2010 - 11:20 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users