Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen of terror

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jongwonchoi

jongwonchoi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:43 PM

Hello, I have a desktop computer with windows xp installed on it.
I had acquired that desktop when I was back in high school(about 4~5 years ago),
and had downloaded alot from P2P programs etc...
For a long time, my parents have just used the computer with the blue screen of terror happening every so often, and I found this website and was wondering if you guys could give me a tip to fix the computer error.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lee64

Lee64

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 03:10 AM

There are a few possibilities here.

1.Your HDD or some other hardware could be on the way out as it's an old PC.

2.You might be ready for a clean install of XP.

3.You may have an overloaded PC using far to much CPU resources and RAM.

First and foremost would be to transfer all Document files and any other personal files to removable media (external HDD or disks). Don't forget email, passwords and any other relevant info. worth saving.

After that back-up, I'd run a PC pitstop Overdrive test and check out their report on your PC:

Navigate to http://www.pcpitstop.com/
And click on the 'OverDrive' window on the lower left.

Register and accept the ActiveX as they are both SAFE and FREE.

In order to receive the full benefit and display the full Results of OverDrive, it is necessary to run Internet Explorer - As Administrator.

The 'Summery' of the Overdrive report will give you a good idea of how your PC is fairing.

If your really confused by the results, paste the URL of the results here so someone can take a look at it and advise.

Cheers,
Lee

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 03:32 AM

The best place to start would be to post the make and model of this computer.

What is the error message in this blue screen?

PC Pitstop includes a registry cleaning tool. The staff here at BC doesn't endorse use of registry cleaners.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results". Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Edited by dc3, 29 November 2010 - 03:42 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Lee64

Lee64

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:22 AM

Hi dc3,

As you probably already know, the Overdrive test does not clean the registry. It does nothing except provide a summary report of the PC, which never includes advice to clean the registry. The test itself would also provide a very exact profile of the PC's specs. and hardware which would not have to be looked up as just knowing what the PC brand and model is would require.

Like you, I am totally against registry cleaners (or PC optimizers) and I know that PC pitstop advertises products that neither of us would approve of. The overdrive test though is still a very valuable tool as a detailed oversight into any Op's PC.

I was very specific to "go to the Overdrive test window in the lower right" of the URL supplied window and "click om the Overdrive test". Nothing else was advised.

In hindsight, I should have mentioned not to run anything else featured on that page or any other! LOL

Sorry about that oversight.

I'm only new here and came to try to find a solution to my own very difficult to solve PC problem ((W7 section) on my wife's PC that could not be solved elsewhere (my first post and main reason to join this highly recommended forum). No replies yet, but maybe you can have a look, as it's a real doozy! LOL.

I thought it might be a good thing to help where I could on a few problems while I was here, as I noticed this is (obviously) a very busy forum. I'm sorry for the intrusion and any offense taken.

Cheers,
Lee

Edited by Lee64, 29 November 2010 - 05:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users