Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Problem - Code 43 (Windows has stopped this device..)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nihsnek

Nihsnek

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:26 PM

Hi,

I'm having an issue trying to get a video card working with my Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate installation. I had a Nvidia 7900GTX originally and I couldn't get it to work (kept giving me code 43), so I bought a new Nvidia 210 video card..and the same code keeps occurring. Here's what I've done:

-Tried both PCI slots on the motherboard
-Tried letting Windows Update find and install drivers automatically
-Stopped Windows from automatically installing drivers and installed newest drivers from nvidia.com
-Let Windows Update install drivers then updated drivers from nvidia.com
-Completely removed all video drivers with Windows and Driver Sweeper and then re-installed nvidia.com drivers

I'm at a complete lost. I am POSITIVE this is NOT a hardware issue. It has to be a driver issue...somehow I can't get the right configuration.

Here's my specs:
Abit AN8 Fatality SLI Motherboard
AMD 400+ CPU
Nvidia 210 Video Card (also tried Nvidia 7900GTX card)
2GB RAM
320GB Sata HDD
Antec 500w PSU

I'm thinking about switching to Windows XP and screwing Windows 7. Funny thing is, I've never had this issue with my other desktop and my HD 4850.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:48 PM

Welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Here is an explanation for code 43 from Microsoft.

Code 43
Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)
Recommended resolution:

One of the drivers controlling the device notified the operating system that the device failed in some manner.

If you have already run the Troubleshooting Wizard, you might want to check the hardware documentation for more information about diagnosing the problem.

With that being said let me check if I can find a possible solution to your issue.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 29 November 2010 - 11:49 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:06 AM

The nVidia 210 has support for Windows 7 64 Bit, so Windows 7 is NOT your issue here.

Here is the specs on this card.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_210_us.html

This card requires a minimum of 300 WATTS to function properly.

I see you have a 500 WATT PSU, I have helped other members who have had power supplies which were boarder-line with the requirements this card demands from the PSU.

The problem may and I mean may be that your PSU is NOT supplying enough AMPs to the card for it to function properly.

Also, SLI devices usually require a setting in the BIOS utility to function properly.

I suggest you enter your BIOS setup utility at boot-up and examine the menus for something related to SLI.

Check anything here in your BIOS related to graphics.

You may have a setting that is not set correctly for this card to function properly.

I will look for a owners manual for your motherboard to see if I can locate anything I can point out to you, which may be the reason your SLI type video card is sending messages to windows that it is not functioning properly and will let you know.

But you may need to look into whether your PSU is supplying enough to power up this card.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:21 AM

By the way here is a link to the zip file containing your owners manual.

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/download/download_manual_detail.php?pFILE_TYPE=Manual&pMAIN_TYPE=Motherboard&pTITLE_ON_SCREEN=Fatal1ty+AN8+SLI&pSOCKET_TYPE=Socket 939

The link above may not work if you click it because of the seperation between the word socket and 939, so you'll most likely have to copy and paste the link for it to work.

Bruce.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:32 AM

The link seem to work Okay when I tried it.

I have a question for you in relation to the three power connections needed for this motherboard.

One is the 24 Pin main ATX power harness.

The second is the 4 pin connector labeled ATX12V1.

The third is the 4 pin connector labeled ATX4P1.

DO you have the second and third connectors listed above connected to the motherboard?

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users