Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Atheros Driver Creating DPC latency spikes

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 loveartist

loveartist

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:30 PM

Im trying to solve the problem of my DPC latency spikes, which cause the sound on my speakers and headphones to crackle during the spikes. I can solve the issue by disabling my wireless driver. However
I want to listen to internet radio so, that solution will not suffice. I have tried updating the driver to the latest version but its not working, although im not sure if i updated the driver the "correct" way. Any ideas
on how to fix the issue, or how to get a hold of Atheros. Let me know,

Thanks, Cody

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 loveartist

loveartist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:58 AM

i am getting fed up with trying to fix the driver. Atheros tech support is non existant, the people at aspire dont know what dpc latency is so I guess now im looking, at replacing the network adapter hardware. If anyone knows how to do this or how to figure out how to do this please let me know. I have an acer aspire 5740-6025. Thanks, Cody

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,424 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 03:18 AM

I don't know if I can offer you much hope. Seems the Atheros driver is particularly bad, but people report DPC latency problems with various WiFi chips. One person I found said they only had the problem when both WiFi and ethernet were in use - are you using wired LAN at the same time as the WiFi?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 loveartist

loveartist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 03:26 AM

hmm, yes one of my computers is connected via cable from the router. Also my little brother plays xbox live every now and then, i guess ill go unplug them and see if that fixes it. Thanks :)

#5 loveartist

loveartist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 03:29 AM

hmm that didnt fix it, worth a try tho!

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,424 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 03:42 AM

The person who found that solution may have had a better WiFi to begin with, like a Broadcom perhaps.

Do you know anyone who has a USB (or maybe PC Card) WiFi adaptor you could borrow, and turn off the internal Atheros? That could confirm if an alternative is going to solve your problem.

#7 loveartist

loveartist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 03:44 AM

tried a usb cisco linksys usb wireless adapter, still getting dcp spikes every now and then but not nearly as bad. Wonder if theres one that doesent cause any.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,424 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 04:39 AM

Hard to say on that. Another possiblity to try could be external sound. For internet radio a basic stereo USB audio adaptor might need less CPU cycles than the onboard does.

Another possibility I guess is thread allocation - if the CPU affinity can be adjusted maybe it can operate more efficiently. I've only used one such utility myself, the Ashampoo Core Tuner:

http://www.ashampoo.com/en/aud/pin/0061/System_Utilities/Ashampoo-Core-Tuner

I expect there are other utilities with similar capability. The Ashampoo one can be trialled for free if you wish. If you do try it, the installer will offer to also install a toolbar, which which you can (and in my opinion should) decline.

Other than that, at the moment I'm out of ideas.

#9 loveartist

loveartist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:20 AM

ill give that a try, thanks for your help, as far as outboard sound im using that right now, n it still has the same effect. Ill post weather the ashampoo works or not. Peace

#10 loveartist

loveartist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:42 AM

i tried both lowering and raising the priority to no avail, thanks again for trying <3

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,424 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:22 AM

Bummer. The only other thing I can think of is maybe ASIO4all will work with one or other of your audio alternatives:

http://www.asio4all.com/

If you're not already aware of it, ASIO (Audio Streaming I/O) gives very efficient audio operation that runs as a Windows Service. You can give it highest priority by choosing Adjust for best performance of Background Services in the Advanced tab of Advanced Performance in System Properties.

If ASIO4all will work in your system, maybe choosing the ASIO driver as the sound playback device will give priority to the audio and avoid the crackles.

Edited by Platypus, 29 November 2010 - 07:24 AM.

#12 loveartist

loveartist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:58 AM

asio 4 all doesnt work, thanks for trying!

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,424 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:41 AM

That's unfortunate. Unless someone else has any suggestions, we might have hit a dead end.

#14 loveartist

loveartist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:03 AM

it looks like it, i guess worst things could happen tho, lol :) thanks for your help <3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users