Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ALTERNATIVE TO USING OUTLOOK

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rlight

rlight

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:05 PM

Greetings,

I have been using Comcast exclusively for my email. I am not satisfied with it's performance. Someone suggested using Outlook, but from I what I can see Outlook has been replaced by Microsoft Live Mail (which I have on my new computer).
The problem with Live Mail is that all the email accounts that the people in my home have, are lumped into one inbox. There isn't a password to enter to view an individual email. So, all emails can be read by everyone. Any suggestions?

rlight

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:30 PM

You must be using SmartZone for email access. Are you having any particular issues with it that make you not satisfied with performance?

Outlook EXPRESS has been replaced with Windows Live Mail. OUTLOOK, which is a totally different email client, is still available.

With WLM, you set up an account for each email address. Mail from the various addresses are not lumped into one inbox, each account has its own. However, you are correct that there is no password for each individual account and yes, everyone will be able to read mail for another person. And even if you did set it up to ask for a password, the mail of the last person to use WLM would open up briefly before the enter password box pops up. (The same thing happened with multiple accounts on Outlook Express) Just for fun, I changed my WLM settings to require a password. When it opens to my primary account mail, the password box pops up, and I cancelled it. I then clicked on my secondary account mail, no password box opened, but my mail did.

To require a password: Open up WLM. RIGHT CLICK on the account name on the left side of the page.
On mine, I would RIGHT click on Comcast (my account name). Choose Properties/Servers tab. UNCHECK Remember password. Click Apply. See if it works for you.

Here is what it looks like. Both of the accounts are mine-the first one is my primary account, the other one is my secondary account. But for other people this would not be practical if everyone uses the same desktop and they wanted email to stay private.
As you can see, anyone can click on an account and read the mail.

Posted Image

You could use another email client, but I cannot recommend one that would keep mail private because I'm not familiar with any of them.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 28 November 2010 - 09:42 PM.

#3 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:39 PM

I have gmail and the client I use is the mail app for their browser, google chrome.

It is private for each email, you have to be signed in.

I love it because it has all the cool features of gmail's web interface but you can use it without being online which is key sometimes.

#4 rlight

rlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:55 AM

Thanks for all the information. The issue that I am having with Smartzone, is that several times now I have moved emails that have attachments to one of my folders. When I go back to retrieve these emails they are not in the folder. This has happened with at least three emails that were important to me.

I did go into WLM and changed the 'remember password'. However, I still can see all three email accounts and their contents.

rlight

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:24 AM

rlight, for your SmartZone issue (if you want to pursue it)

I'm going to direct you to the Comcast Help Forums. Those forums are provided to Comcast customers, and are a great resource for vendor specific issues. There are forums for computer issues, email issues, security, internet, cable tv, CDV, billing, and customer service.
Many times we, the users there, can provide answers tech support and customer service can't.

Click the link below, you'll be sent to the sign in page. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before .net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken to the actual forums. You can post your issue with SZ in the email forum.

http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/

(Once you get to the forum, save the page to your favorites. If you want to get to it from the Comcast home page, you have to jump through hoops to reach it)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users