Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card s3720f

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CGR279

CGR279

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:59 PM

Hi all! Thanks for taking a look at this for me, it's really appreciated.

I think my hubby would enjoy playing some pc games, but his pc (I think graphics card) just isn't good enough. I was thinking of getting him a new card for Christmas but I have no idea where to start. If someone could look at his specs below and guide me I would be really grateful. I was thinking of games like call of duty if that helps in the assesment.

General Spec
Brand HP
Series Pavilion Slimline
Model S3720F(FQ567AA)
Type Home / Home Office
Processor Intel Pentium dual-core E5200(2.50GHz)
Processor Main Features 64 bit Dual Core Processor
Cache Per Processor 2MB L2 Cache
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Hard Drive 500GB 7200RPM SATA
Optical Drive 1 SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 7100 Graphics with 128MB dedicated graphics memory. Up to 1343MB Total Available Graphics Memory as allocated by Windows Vista
Audio High Definition Audio
Ethernet 10/100Base-T network
Wireless Card Wireless LAN 802.11b/g
Keyboard HP multimedia keyboard
Mouse HP optical mouse
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Special Features HP Pocket Media Drive Bay Motherboard
Chipset NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 630i CPU
CPU Type Pentium dual-core
Installed Qty 1
CPU FSB 800MHz
CPU Speed E5200(2.50GHz)
L2 Cache Per CPU 2MB
CPU Socket Type LGA 775
CPU Main Features 64 bit Dual Core Processor Graphics
GPU/VPU Type NVIDIA GeForce 7100
Graphics Interface Integrated video Memory
Memory Capacity 4GB DDR2
Memory Speed DDR2 800
Form Factor DIMM 240-pin
Memory Spec 2GB x 2
Memory Slots (Available/Total) 0/2 Hard Drive
HDD Capacity 500GB
HDD Interface SATA
HDD RPM 7200rpm Optical Drive
Optical Drive Type DVD Super Multi
Optical Drive Spec SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology: 16x max DVD±R, 12x max DVD±R DL, 8x max DVD+RW, 6x max DVD-RW, 12x max DVD-RAM, 40x max CD-R, 32x max CD-RW. Read: 16x max DVD-ROM, 40x CD-ROM. Audio
Audio Chipset Integrated Communications
Modem 56K
LAN Chipset Integrated
LAN Speed 10/100Mbps
WLAN 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Front Panel Ports
Front USB 2
Front Audio Ports Headphone
Card Reader Front panel 15-in-1 memory card reader: supports SmartMedia, xD, MultiMedia Card, Secure Digital (SD), Mini Secure Digital, Compact Flash I, Compact Flash II, IBM Microdrive, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick Pro Duo, RSMMC, MMC Mobile, MMC+ Back Panel Ports
PS/2 2
Video Ports 1 VGA
Rear USB 4
Rear IEEE 1394 1
RJ45 1 port
Rear Audio Ports 3 ports
S/P DIF 1 port Expansion
External Bays 1 x 5.25" External
Internal Bays 1 x 3.5" Internal
PCI Slots (Available/Total) (0/1) PCI Express x1
(1/1) PCI Express x16

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:49 PM

Yes, but with a few caveats. I assume this is your PC. First, you have the appropriate PCI-Express X16 slot, however, you use a slimline case which will restrict the size of the graphics card you can get. Second, the CPU may not be able to feed the higher-end graphics cards fast enough with data. Third, and you didn't mention this above, your power supply may not be able to handle certain graphics cards since the wattage is 160W. That said, you can still get a pretty significant upgrade over the old GeForce 7100, if you can find something that works with the issues I've raised. Your biggest stumbling block is with the power supply, even a very low-end Radeon 4350 requires a 300W power supply. If you go much lower than that, you're going back to the old GeForce 7 generation which is what your current graphics card is a part of.

3939.png

#3 CGR279

CGR279
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:04 AM

Thanks for the reply and info DJ. Yes that is indeed his PC and I thought the slim case might pose a problem based on my internet searches. Stupid question......can I upgrade the power supply to suit a graphics card? Thanks a lot for your help!

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:53 AM

You can update the power supply, however, due to the case design, you will not be able to use a standard ATX power supply but one designed for small cases, mini-ATX I believe. Also, due to size and low number of fans, the computer has the potential to overheat more quickly since the graphics card puts out heat and the fans may not be able to keep up. Finally, you probably would have to disassemble most of the PC to install the new graphics card and power supply. The highest-end power supply you could get for that case is probably around 300W. The Athena Power AP-MFATX30 300W Mini ITX / Micro FLEX ATX may, emphasize may, work. It's not that good of a unit, but one of the reviewers replaced it in a similarly designed HP Pavilion PC.

3939.png

#5 CGR279

CGR279
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:08 AM

So I guess in the end it's not really worth it for me. I'll just wait and when we replace the PC make sure we get something a little better for games next time. Thanks for the insight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users