Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Killed OS; need to remove it; minimum access

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CShirey

CShirey

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:43 PM

Hello and thank you for reading this.
I'm having a difficult time with one laptop and it has been decided that I will removed the OS (Windows 7) from the computer
(eMachines E525 laptop) and install XP of which the owner has a copy.
The first problem is that I have extremely limited access to the OS on the machine so the choices I have are limited as is my knowledge in this subject.
I was going to use a drive wiping program with an .exe extension on a DVD to clear the computer completely. From that point, insert the Windows XP Professional disk and set up the new operating system.
Nothing is ever that easy. Windows 7 won't go away and won't let me in.
Here is where I can go: Advanced Boot Options Screen. Thankfully, I was able to go into "Disable automatic restart on system failure" to end the loop with the Windows 7 Recovery Center which will not work period. Windows 7 is too far gone to use most of these options; can anyone get me to a DOS prompt with the command to reformat the hard drive? From the Advanced Boot Options Screen, I see Directory Services Restore Mode and Debugging Mode but I do not know their use; any suggestions to use one of them would also need detailed instructions.
I have been working on this one way or another for a week; any help would be appreciated.
Can I run that drive cleaning program that runs from the .exe command (meaning does not need to be installed) from the C: prompt if I get there? Please include any DOS commands.
Thanks; I can't wait to get away from this one!
cs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:32 AM

<<I'm having a difficult time with one laptop and it has been decided that I will removed the OS (Windows 7) from the computer...>>

Who decided...and why?

<<...and install XP of which the owner has a copy.>>

MS Genuine XP...or some recovery/restore disk from an OEM system?

If it's Genuine XP...change the boot options in the BIOS, insert the Genuine XP CD. When the screen reflects the hard drive...delete any existing partition. When unallocated space is all that remains on the hard drive...begin the install of XP.

<<can anyone get me to a DOS prompt with the command to reformat the hard drive?>>

No need for DOS or such command...just do as I suggested.

Louis

#3 CShirey

CShirey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:43 PM

Thank you for your assistance, Louis. I did as you said and it looked like a normal installation of Windows XP until I got the screen that says something about if it is the first time you have gotten this screen, don't worry. If not, got to the command prompt and run C: /f, I believe.

I attempted to run the XP disc again and the laptop will not recognize it; it just boots to the Recovery System in Windows 7.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

cs.

#4 CShirey

CShirey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:49 AM

I have certainly gotten in a little further than I planned to with this computer. My concern now is that I need to do a check disk before it will allow me to run the XP disc. I really thought I had it until that error screen came up. I've tried programs to wipe the hard drive but something I personally do not have knowledge of is stopping this from happening and the eMachine Recovery Management Console keeps coming back, and back, and back. In fact, it is all I get.

The person I am doing this for doesn't have the financial resources to have it done professionally and I've never had a computer I couldn't fix one way or another; sometimes just because someone here or another forum helped me.

Please look at this again! I really need assistance and believe me when I say if I could afford it, I would pay to have it fixed. My love is computers and I hope to take classes but not for a career but as a hobby.

I seem to need to check the hard drive. This is a laptop. If it were a desktop, I'd take it out and put it in another computer to do the work. I've never been inside a laptop and I am not lucky enough to own one. I will not risk someone elses laptop for this.

May I ask again, please help?

Thank you for your time and, hopefully, anticipated assistance!

Cherie

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:17 PM

If you are constantly being asked to run Check Disk, then I would assume that your hard drive is dead or in the process of dying.

What kind of hard drive is it?

#6 Shadow Bird

Shadow Bird

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:15 PM

Honestly people--www.dban.org

#7 mikeb2623

mikeb2623

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:03 PM

eMachines are not able to run Win7

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:16 PM

eMachines are not able to run Win7

Oh really?

The eMachines® ET1331-40e Desktop bundle has all you need to get it all done! Featuring a reliable AMD Athlon™ II processor, Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, rich graphics performance, and plenty of storage space for your media and files, our ET1331-40e is paired with a stunning 20" widescreen LCD display with built-in speakers. Ready to go out of the box, this reliable PC is outfitted with Microsoft® Office Starter 20101 and such usability touches as front-accessible ports. Have fun with your digital media, keep in touch with friends and tackle tasks with ease with the eMachines® ET1331-40e Desktop bundle.

Quoted from here: http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=ET1331-40e

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users