Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection Refusal Problems (Trojan?)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 CowboyDinosaur

CowboyDinosaur

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:31 AM

So, somehow, I got a nasty "fake anti-virus" program nested in my poor little laptop.

I somehow managed to disable it from running by using Msconfig, but it didn't remove the problem completely.

I've run Malwarebytes, Dr.Cure It! and did an AVAST scan.

While I did manage to isolate it a few times (or perhaps other malware I had no idea existed on my computer), the problem it was causing still persists.

The problem is that it's refusing connections to several things.

1. It's refusing to allow me to Windows Update to get SP3
2. It's refusing connections to Google Chrome
3. It's refusing to allow AVAST to update (by refusing connections to it's update server)
4. It's refusing to allow me to update /any/ of my anti-virus software.

And it's most likely /probably/ preventing most of my anti-virus software from doing proper sweeps, I venture.

Now, I've done steps 1-3 in the 'Advanced Removal' section of the Malware removal sticky, but I'm a little hesitant about Step 4. (Link here -> [x] )

It says that I shouldn't use ComboFix until I have a "helper", and I want to make sure it's right for my computer (considering I don't want to further damage it).

If I have a rootkit, fine, I can pursue that path /and/ this one.

But if my registry cleaner just deleted some .dll file that is refusing connections to everything but Firefox, then I don't want to risk running ComboFix.

ANYWHO, here is my HijackThis! log for someone to take a peek at. -> http://dpaste.com/280821/

Please help, I'd really like to update my computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users