Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows sound volume

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 emfederin

emfederin

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:01 AM

Here is a problem I've put up with for YEARS, and I've never seen anyone else ask this question or even seen it addressed anywhere - so here goes:

Is there an AVC program or compandor driver out there to tame windows' wildly varying sound output?

Definition of terms for those unfamiliar or misled:
AVC - NOT VIDEO! In the old days, radios, TVs, etc, had [A]utomatic [V]olume [C]ontrols on them.
COMPANDOR - the backbone of the old AVC systems: it's a combination word made from audio "expander" and audio "compressor".

The problem is that various programs have varying sound output. If I'm watching TV on my system, for instance, I set the sound to some pleasing volume to me. But if I then play a music file, movie or go to some sound site on the net, the sound may come BLARING through on one function, and/or be barely audible on another.

And now after all these years, I'm finally fed up to the teeth with constantly readjusting my volume controls every time I want to hear something - and it's not uncommon for me to have multiple sound sources up where I constantly have to pre-adjust or re-adjust the local sound controls vs. the windows sound control every couple of seconds or minutes. It drives me NUTZ!!!

I find it difficult to believe that I'm the only one on the planet that is bothered by this, and yet I've never been able to find anyone else asking or complaining about it. So I will! ;-)

Does anyone have a solution?

Edited by hamluis, 28 November 2010 - 12:46 PM.
Moved from XP to Audio & Video ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:05 PM

Well if you've got Vista you're in luck, according to this article......

http://anderwald.info/windows/normalize-all-sound-output-in-windows-vista-and-higher/

although i can't find the option in my windows 7!!

#3 emfederin

emfederin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:57 PM

Oh lordy, Phil! That's EXACTLY what I'm looking for!!

But unfortunately, I'm running XP. And like you, I can't find any such function on my machine, either. This is in spite of the fact that I have TWO "high definition" sound drivers on my system (one is part of XP, the other is a motherboard driver from realtek).

Oddly, I've found equivalent mechanisms on my realtek sound manager that will achieve "bass management", "speaker fill" and "room correction", but nothing at all that addresses any kind of "loudness equalization".

Funny too, is that my laptop came with Vista and I promptly UPGRADED to XP (I "shout" because the manufacturers insist that XP is a "downgrade" - I heartily disagree :) ). But I'm not about to cripple my desktop by taking off my XP and putting my Vista on it.

The good news is that if Vista recognizes the need for such a function, then it IS a "recognized function" as per my lament in my original post. :thumbsup:

Thank you VERY much for pointing this out to me, Phil! I'm going to investigate the Vista driver and see if it's standalone accessible and if it's portable to XP (highly doubtful, but hey), or check out "realtek, inc" for an equivalent function. Your comment may be a major "hint" to me where I should be searching. :)

#4 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:34 AM

I did actually find one piece of software that does what you require, unfortunately it's not free! it does have a thirty day free trial tho.......

http://www.claessonedwards.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=59

It is quite wierd that there isn't more software that can perform this function tho, it's obviously an anoyance to a lot of people, hence microsoft now incorporating into newer versions of windows.

Maybe you could could get someone in the programming section to write you one..... tell them they would make a killing! :wink:

Edited by 666philb, 09 December 2010 - 02:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users