Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My CD Drive will not read any CDs/DVDs

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 phily999

phily999

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:54 AM

My CD drive on my computer was recently not working. It would open and close just fine, but when a CD/DVD gets put into the CD Drive, it will not read the CD. All of my CDs that I put into the drive show up as "DVD-RAM Drive (D:)", and when I double click it with the CD inside, it brings me to a blank page, just like clicking into a blank folder. I'm using Windows XP Service Pack 3. I've been looking everywhere for help, and this is the only place I could count on for help. Thanks!

Edited by phily999, 28 November 2010 - 01:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:14 AM

Look in the Device Manager to see if there are any errors under CD/DVD-ROM.

Some times drivers become corrupted, try reinstalling the driver.

If you click on the + in the box it will expand the tree to display your optical drive/s. Double click on the drive in question and then click on Properties. Click on the Driver tab at the top of the page and then uninstall the driver. When you restart your computer the Installation Wizard will recognize new hardware has been installed and look for the appropriate driver for the drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 phily999

phily999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:27 AM

Thank you for the quick reply dc3!

I tried what you posted, uninstalled the driver, restart computer, and try again, but the same thing still happens. I think this might have something to do with a past virus that affected my computer. If you need anymore information, I would be more than happy to provide it for you. Thanks!

#4 max7bg

max7bg

• Banned
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:54 AM

Hi,

I have something on my mind.
Did you try to open the case, and see the cable from motherboard to CD ROM is plugged in right
Try to remove it, clean the dust and plug it in again!

Regards,
Max

#5 phily999

phily999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 02:15 AM

Hi,

I have something on my mind.
Did you try to open the case, and see the cable from motherboard to CD ROM is plugged in right
Try to remove it, clean the dust and plug it in again!

Regards,
Max

Hi Max,
Thanks for the reply

I did as you said and opened up the CPU case. I checked all the wires that were supposed to be connected to it. They were all in the right place. I blew off the dust so it would be a little more cleaner, but the problem still persists.

#6 max7bg

max7bg

• Banned
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 02:44 AM

Hi,

It seems you haven't done what i said to you
Important is to remove the cable that points from MB to CD ROM and clean it properly
You must clean slot in MB, slot in CD ROM, and the both ends of cable that go into the slots
Try to find some brush, I use painting brush to clean the dust
Alcohol is the great thing to use with brush
Hope you understand, pointg is not to blew off, it wont help

Sorry if bad English, and hope this help

Max

#7 phily999

phily999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:35 PM

Hi,

It seems you haven't done what i said to you
Important is to remove the cable that points from MB to CD ROM and clean it properly
You must clean slot in MB, slot in CD ROM, and the both ends of cable that go into the slots
Try to find some brush, I use painting brush to clean the dust
Alcohol is the great thing to use with brush
Hope you understand, pointg is not to blew off, it wont help

Sorry if bad English, and hope this help

Max

No problem on your english! As long as I can still understand it :)

I took out the CD Drive, cleaned it with a brush, inside and outside, and put it back in my CPU. After this I booted up my computer, and the problem still persists.

#8 max7bg

max7bg

• Banned
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:47 AM

Hello,

About the dust in previous post, I doubt it's a problem, but i wanted to be sure, because i had a issue with a dust one time

Do you have another CD ROM to replace it, to see where is the problem, is your problem with CD ROM(if the CD ROM is dead) or it is the problem with computer (system)

CD ROM might not be dead, the reading laser may be dirty, because sometimes dust collects around it!
For this i have a cleaning CD to clean the laser

#9 phily999

phily999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:36 PM

Hello,

About the dust in previous post, I doubt it's a problem, but i wanted to be sure, because i had a issue with a dust one time

Do you have another CD ROM to replace it, to see where is the problem, is your problem with CD ROM(if the CD ROM is dead) or it is the problem with computer (system)

CD ROM might not be dead, the reading laser may be dirty, because sometimes dust collects around it!
For this i have a cleaning CD to clean the laser

Well as I said before, a few days before my CD drive started to not work, I had a virus on my computer that had something to do with scvhost.exe. I was thinking maybe this virus would have affected my CD drive. I've also looked around for a CD that cleans the driver.

#10 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:03 PM

As Max said, disconnect the cables completely and reseat them.
They may look like they are connected but be off just enough to not let it read correctly
Also try a laser lens cleaning kit.
I got one recently at the local dollar store for about 5 bucks

You can also try the drive on another system, if possible, to see if it does the same thing
Or try another drive on this system
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users