Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

another infection?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 aircar

aircar

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:21 AM

HI there - I'm hoping you folks can help. I'm running Windows XP Pro Version 2002 Service Pack 3. (This was installed as an XP downgrade, don'tcha love it?)
I was doing a bunch of web searches and must have gone somewhere evil. The next time I launched Internet Explorer, Security Tool popups intervened. I didn't get sucked into the scam, but I couldn't just close the popups using the X, so I ended the application through Task Manager. However, every time I launched IE, same thing, so I was prevented from searching the internet for a solution.
However, using an uninfected laptop, I poked around. On the Microsoft website, I found a reference to the Bleeping Computer removal instructions (so lovely and detailed!)
I printed off a copy and went back to the desktop, booted in Safe mode and followed the instructions. Rkill didn't seem to find anything and Malwarebytes seemed to install just fine. Then I managed to get confused. I downloaded the exe at step 12, but ran the icon on the desktop rather than the just-downloaded randomly-named exe from C:\program files\Malwarebytes.. It updated and scanned and found and removed the selected stuff, one of which was the install package renamed to explorer.exe there on the desktop. I replaced the hosts file, and rebooted. Now IE just doesn't launch at all. So I went back to the instructions, saw my mistake, and started over, first uninstalling Malwarebytes. When I got to Step 13, however, I got a message to the effect of (sorry, I don't have the exact wording, but will go back to Safe Mode and do it again if necessary) the file was corrupted and needed to be reinstalled. I could't run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from the randomly-named exe file.
And then I noticed another lovely file on the desktop, YCemSCi.exe. I found another Bleeping Computer post that talked about using the More Tools tab to get rid of that, so I did it.
IE still doesn't launch reliably. I click, the hour glass appears, and nothing happens except that another iexplore.exe appears in Task Manager's Processes list. Except every once in a while, it does launch. (I'm connected now through IE on the desktop in normal mode.) HOwever, after using the window for a while, I get a "Generic HOst Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." If I click on Send error report or Don't send, it'll close the window. Right now I'm typing away with that little darling just staring me in the face.
So, oh wise ones, what should I do?
Thank you so much for listening!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users