Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zalman cnps 7000b cooler is "loose" on my cpu

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cpumelter

cpumelter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:09 PM

Hi all!

I am installing a Zalman cnps 7000b cooler on an older Athlon xp/socket 462. I have done quite a few builds in the past, but never ran into this before.

The heatsink/cooler is "loose" on the cpu; by loose I mean - looser than I feel comfortable with. I can fairly easily rotate the cooler from side to side (rotate, not shift from side to side)

It is not in danger of falling off, as the spring clip securely mounts with supplied screws. All the ones I have worked with in the past were nice & tight when installed, as in no free play to speak of at all.

What do you guys think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:53 AM

as long as its not rocking back and forth it should be all right in my opinion

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 cpumelter

cpumelter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:34 AM

caperjac - Thanks for the input. I dunno...I still feel unsure about it.

Duh -

I believe I may sand/dress the base of the cooler to take off a few thousandths. I have done this with other heatsinks in an effort to get the mating surface completely flat.

:wink:

I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote this - shaving off the base of the cooler will actually make it looser, lol.

Edited by cpumelter, 28 November 2010 - 05:58 PM.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:29 AM

Gotta be careful with those old XPs as you don't have a heatspreader over the core. Clamp loads were reduced on those CPUs for a reason.

EDIT: I have been able to rotate the coolers on my builds with those CPUs.

Edited by dpunisher, 28 November 2010 - 09:31 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:24 PM

too tight and you risk cracking the motherboard

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#6 cpumelter

cpumelter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:41 PM

too tight and you risk cracking the motherboard

Well, I am judging from when I assembled these things a few years ago...the stock HSF that clamped onto the existing mobo tabs were as tight as blazes...

and this Zalman cooler is "loose" compared to that.

What I decided to do - I lightly sanded the mounting base that they provide with the cooler, to allow the cooler to be screwed down tighter to it. Just a couple thousandths using 100 & then 220 grit.

Reinstalled & it still feels loose, so I am calling it finished. I don't wanna pull the mobo out again, which is what I have to do to remove the mounting base. I used Arctic Silver Ceramique & I will monitor temps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users