Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for new cases and vidcard advice

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ATARi

ATARi

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:46 PM

Hi, would it be possible to move everything from an old case to a new one case? If so I'm looking forward to change my case and change my current video card. I was planning to run SLi, but funds at the time cut me short. I prefer to keep everything except the 9800 GTX+ and the computer case. I'm looking forward to also upgrade to Windows 7 Professional 64bit.

My current setup:
APEVIA Aluminum Full ATX Case
Corsair 750W PSU
nForce 750i Motherboard
8GB DDR2 RAM
Q660 Kentsfield 2.4GHZ Core2Quad
GeForce 9800 GTX+

So basically, I'm looking to move everything into a new case. (Preferably a case with wire management and a bottom-mount PSU. Also wanted to change the video card to something more update yet average on the costs. Any other advice would be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:12 AM

Sure, you can easily move to a new, larger case without much hassle, aside from rebuilding the PC. Below are some choices, but keep in mind that shipping can be expensive, aluminum cases are usually higher-quality, and windows or side vents make the computer more noisy.

COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP - This is my favorite case, it's elegant and beautifully engineered.

COOLER MASTER COSMOS S RC-1100-KKN1-GP - Same as the previous case, only black and silver.

NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Not bad at all, though, it does use plastic.

LIAN LI PC-A71F Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - This kind of reminds me of the monolith from 2001.

SILVERSTONE TJ10-B Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - This is my current case.

Graphics cards are more fun, in my opinion. I recently updated my old GeForce 9800 GTX in SLI to a single Radeon 5850 and it has been working well so far. Final Fantasy XIV was the trigger that made me do it, that, plus being able to run Mass Effect 2 with super sampling anti aliasing at a higher level. Even though my motherboard, an XFX 780i, only does SLI, Nvidia's drivers made me switch back to ATI/AMD after several years. Almost anything will be faster than a single GeForce 9800 GTX in the mid-range market. From slowest to fastest:

AMD

XFX HD-685X-ZNFC Radeon HD 6850 - This is, performance wise, between the Radeon 5830 and the 5850.

HIS H687FT1G2M Radeon HD 6870 - This card runs a little bit less than the Radeon 5850 and can sometimes go above it.

XFX HD-585X-ZAFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB - Online retailers are marking these down before the new Radeon 6900 series comes out to replace the 5850/5870 in the high-end market. I wish I waited a few weeks, I paid $50 more.

HIS H587FN1GD Radeon HD 5870 1GB - One of the fastest single GPU's on the market.

Nvidia

EVGA 01G-P3-1370-TR GeForce GTX 460 - When it comes to Nvidia GPU's, I suggest EVGA or Galaxy. I once included XFX, but after they started making Radeon cards, Nvidia dropped them. This runs very slightly below the 6850 and is on par price wise.

EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 - This usually runs slightly slower than the 6870 but faster than the 6850.

Galaxy 58NLH5HS8GGX GeForce GTX 580 - This is faster than any of AMD's current GPU offerings.

3939.png

#3 ATARi

ATARi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:06 AM

Thanks for the reply, also for Windows 7. I currently use to horrid Vista, could I just reformat and buy the OEM Windows 7 CD and not get the upgrade CD? I've always wondered why the upgrade CD cost so much more then the system builder one.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:27 AM

Yes, you can go OEM if you want. OEM copies are offered to OEM's at volume discounts, upgrade discs are offered to end-users. It's not surprising that Microsoft is wanting to get as much cash as possible, especially since most Windows installs are not upgrades. Upgrade licenses are different from OEM licenses, that may have also been a reason.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users