Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free HD space doesn't match

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 NSRailfan

NSRailfan

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:58 PM

Hello All,

Just something bothering me. I have a Laptop with a 74.5GB HD. I got it reimaged in June of 2010. I never had an issue with it in the first three years I owned it.

Now... However...

I saw my HD space was getting low, so I went and deleted some files. A lot of files. So, I downloaded TreeSize to see what it reported.

Posted Image

It appears to be thinking somewhere in the range of 25GB used. But as you can see at the bottom, 5.05GB is free. Like this shows:

Posted Image

I believe I have system restore shut out, since every time I click on it, it asks me if I would like to turn it on. I do have RollbackRX though, if that could be an issue.

Complete scan of the computer was done too. No viruses.

Any thoughts anyone?

-Cody

Edited by NSRailfan, 27 November 2010 - 10:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:04 PM

Are you saying that the amount used does not match the amount of free space windows is reporting?
Because 69.4 Minus 74.5 equals 5.05 It all equals out.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:25 PM

He's saying that TreeSize reports the files taking up a total of ~25GB.

Only thing I can think of is if you had set up partitions on your hard drive.

#4 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:44 PM

Hi!

Does this TreeSize program have any whitelists? Maybe it's ignoring core OS files, page files, hibernation caches, System restore points. I'm not sure on how much space those files take up, but I know for a fact that those files can become very large.

Hope that helps :)

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#5 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:00 PM

I just looked through TreeSize... I couldn't find any whitelists, and if you left it on default settings, it shouldn't be excluding any file types.
And I'm not sure if these files alone would make up for a ~45GB disparity.

#6 NSRailfan

NSRailfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:16 PM

I don't understand it either. A more tech-savvy friend that I told me to use FolderSizes. It reports back this:

Posted Image

It also reports about 25GB used. I'm starting to think it just doesn't like me anymore. :P

-Cody

#7 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:22 PM

Hi!

On TreeSize, click View>Allocated Space. What does it come up with now?

unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#8 NSRailfan

NSRailfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:26 PM

Allocated space comes up with this:

Posted Image

#9 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:28 PM

Hehe... looks like we're getting a bit closer :P

Try this:
Click View > Options > Show Errors Messages

The re-run a scan. I'm wondering if there are certain folders TreeSize is not allowed to access. Not sure what they could be, but it's worth a stab.

unite_blue.png

#10 NSRailfan

NSRailfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:31 PM

Gave it a stab, and it brought back the same result as above. Gotta admit, this is really stumping me. I never thought a Harddrive could do this...

-Cody

#11 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:37 PM

Okay, I'm tempted to say there there are system folders that TreeSize does not have access to. One good example of this is the System Volume Information folder which is used to store System Restore Points. In order to get a more accurate reading, you'll need to run TreeSize under SYSTEM permissions.

You can try to see if a program called WinDirStat gives you the same results as Windows. I heard it was pretty good.

unite_blue.png

#12 NSRailfan

NSRailfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:46 PM

Well, I tried WinDirStat. I was hoping for a different result, almost. Instead, I go this:

Posted Image

It agrees with the 24GB. I think my HD is pulling near " :crazy: " levels.

-Cody

Edited by NSRailfan, 27 November 2010 - 11:46 PM.

#13 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:54 PM

Hi!

Yes, I'm convinced it's because these programs do not have access to those OS folders. However, I'm not expert on how these file size programs work so I couldn't give you any more information :(

unite_blue.png

#14 NSRailfan

NSRailfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:05 AM

Aommaster, it's no problem. You gave it a good shot. My thanks for your help. :thumbup2:

Switching gears then, is there anyway to reset a computer to it's factory setting? I already backed up the files I needed, so if I could just send it back to the day I got it, that'd be nice. I tried RollbackRX, but setting it to factory, it still only remembers the 5GB disc space. Any other ways of doing it?

#15 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:12 AM

Hi!

If you bought your PC from a manufacturer pre-built, you should've gotten a recovery CD that came with it. I'm not familiar with RollbackRX, so I'm not sure what you mean by "it still only remembers the 5GB disc space".

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users