Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway GT5458e Powers on and then cuts off

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SKay10

SKay10

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:44 PM

I have a problem with my Gateway GT5458e desktop. For the past week as it's been powered up, it will shut off completely as it begins it's boot up. I have cleaned the fans and as much of the inside I have removed all the dust I found. The computer was left on with no problems but last week a pop up from McAfee popped up explaining that I reboot the computer and since then it's been having this problem. Another issue is the LCD monitor has been working intermittently as well. Right now it's not displaying anything. The computer runs Vista and had been working well since it's June 2007 purchase. I would like any tips or suggestions on getting this computer working again. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:54 PM

Hi :welcome: to BleepingComputer.com!

Do you remember what the McAfee screen said? Also is there any error messages that come up when you try to start the machine?

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 SKay10

SKay10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:03 PM

I don't recall fully but it appeared on the desktop and bothmy wife and I ignored it for a few daysuntil I decided to restart the computer. When it rebooted on I noticed that McAfee was not loading so I reached out to McAfee and a tech was able to work remotely to clear up the issue with the missing McAfee. But now the computer will begin to boot up and then it cuts right off.

#4 SKay10

SKay10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:04 PM

I also haven't seen any error messages as the monitor isn't working at different times

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:21 PM

My first thought after reading what you have said would be to go back on McAfee, Because it could have been something they did, as it occurred after they "fixed it" Contact McAfee and see what they say.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users