Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install a second hardrive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mloo55

mloo55

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:18 PM

This pc has a hard drive partitioned in C and D for win XP however I want to install a hard
drive removed from a pc with win98 where I have some folders which I dont want to miss. Could
you indicate the procedure to perfom this action if it is possible. The pc is a pentium 4.
rgds
mloo55

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:38 PM

Jumper the primary (XP) drive as master and the secondary (98) as slave.
Attach them to the same ribbon cable and attach power leads

If you can give us the manufacturers of both we can show you how to set the jumpers.
Its a fairly straight forward proceedure and requires nothing more than a pair of tweezers.

Make sure that your case has bays for both drives, some dont so check to make sure you have room for them first
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 mloo55

mloo55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:34 PM

Just I checked the hard drives and the one where the xp is installed is Seagate
and the other that I want to install is compaq. hpoe it helps and please I would thank
if you explain detailed what i have to do.
thanks again
mloo55

#4 mloo55

mloo55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:15 PM

I jumped properly the master and slave and now I have the second hdd working normal.
thanks for your help
mloo55

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users