Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Exlporer Problem

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 q11

q11

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:12 PM

Help Please,

Occasionally while IE is opening a web page, a small message appears:

Microsoft Internet Explorer (followed below with a BIG Red X)

Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site http://news.yahoo.com/........(could be any site)

Operation aborted

Click: OK

Any thoughts on how to correct this occasional problem as the laptop (HP Pavilion dv 1000) never had did this before?

Many thanks in advance,
q11

(Moderator edit: thread moved to more appropriate forum. jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 28 November 2010 - 07:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:16 PM

Hi q11,

Can you take a screen shot the next time it happens and post it here so that we may see what it looks like. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 q11

q11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:22 PM

computerxpds,

How does one take a screen shot?

Thanks,
q11

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:32 PM

There should be a button on your keyboard that says prt scrn or print screen. When you need to hit that button and then open microsoft paint and hit edit, paste and then save it to your desktop. Then go to http://imageshack.us and upload it then using the direct link copy and paste it into your next reply put the tags
[img]URL Goes here![/img]

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 q11

q11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:38 PM

computerxpds,

Thanks, I will proceed with your instructions. Presently, away from my laptop for approx. 4 hrs.

Any other ideas for me to try to fix the problem just in case?

Much appreciation,
q11

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:57 PM

I do have a few more questions for you such as what anti virus do you use and when was your last scan, also do you have a firewall? Do you have automatic updates turned on?
sigcomp.png 

#7 P.C.Guy

P.C.Guy

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:02 PM

q11,

Lemme know if the info on this site helps at all: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/iewebdevelopment/thread/334e42a4-241d-4ca0-9521-c805660921f8/
My Blog: New PC Tips

#8 q11

q11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:13 PM

computerxpds,

The laptop runs Avast! anti virus and is auto updated. Plus, I do perform anti virus scan occasionally with SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. So far NO virus or spy/malware infection.

thanks,
q11

#9 q11

q11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:15 PM

P.C.Guy,

I will do your recommendation.

Thanks,
q11

#10 q11

q11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:29 PM

This is what appears randomly: see attachment

Attached Files

#11 q11

q11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:45 PM

All Helpers:

Please refer to the above attachment as this is exactly what is occurring.

Have you ever seen this dialog while surfing the web in Internet Explorer?

You browse to your favorite news site. The content starts loading, you've already started reading the headline, and then it happens. Those of you familiar with the operation aborted dialog know that it spells sudden doom for the website you're currently viewing. Unsuspecting users have no idea what it means and simply click 'OK' and then watch in horror as the web page they were just reading disappears; only to be replaced by an navigation error screen. More savvy users move the dialog out of the way so that they can finish reading what was visible before they too accept the inevitable...

#12 q11

q11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:30 AM

Any inputs from anyone? It is IE6, NOT IE7

Thanks,
q11

#13 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:54 AM

There's your problem. You need to upgrade to IE 7 or 8. IE6 is obsolete and many sites have stopped supporting it.

#14 q11

q11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:46 AM

frankp316,

Will upgrade to IE7. Anyone else had this issue with IE6?

Thanks,
q11

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:04 AM

Also, make sure you have the current version of Java installed on your computer.

http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Hope this helps.

Kind regards.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users