Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Hard disk drive space using Glary Utilites

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RoomSeven14

RoomSeven14

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:01 PM

Hello all. First of all, I am a newbie. Second, I am not very knowledgeable about computers, so please forgive me if this question/issue seems stupid. Hoping someone can help me.

I used a utilities program called Glary Utilities. From time to time, I use the File Shredder to Wipe the free space of my hard drive. For the last couple of years, I have not had an issue and it increases my free space on my drive. Until a few days ago, the File Shredder/Wipe free space funtion would automatically shut down my computer about 65% of the way thru the wipe down process.

When I restarted my computer, I had lost over 89gigs of free space and do not know how to recover it. I tried to perform a system restore, but that did not help. Did I destroy my laptop? Is there anyway to get the free space back? Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:45 AM

hi, first let me say i do not like programs like Glary Utilities,registry repair tools ,as they tend to cause more problems than fix .
my suggestion are what i use , windows defrag tool ,and TFC Temp Cleaner ,get that here , http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/187-tfc-temp-file-cleaner-by-oldtimer/

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 RoomSeven14

RoomSeven14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:00 PM

Thanks caperjac! Question, will this restore the lost space? If not, how can I recover it?

Thanks

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 04:56 AM

Thanks caperjac! Question, will this restore the lost space? If not, how can I recover it?

Thanks

not sure ,you'd have to do it to find out

#5 P.C.Guy

P.C.Guy

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:21 PM

The Memory optimizer on Glary Utilities isn't that good in my opinion. I tried it, and it didn't release much memory or manage what I have that well. Other than that, it works fairly well.
My Blog: New PC Tips

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:55 PM

memory optimizers ,can be memory hogs them self's'

#7 RoomSeven14

RoomSeven14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:58 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get my lost gigs back?

Thanks

#8 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:58 AM

Could you clarify what you mean by lost hard drive space?

A good way to see what's going on in your harddrive, you can use programs such as TreeSize. If you are still unsure of where that lost space went, you can upload a screenshot of the completed report.

If this still doesn't work, to help us get a better idea of what's going on with your hard drive, open Disk Defragmenter and click on Analyse. Select View Report and click on Save As and Save. Now find VolumeC.txt in your My Documents Folder and post a copy. Do this before running Disk Defragmenter as it is more informative.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users