Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU/motherboard or virus problem?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 day_tripper

day_tripper

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:46 PM

I'm having a hard time trying to pinpoint what's wrong with my computer.

A couple of days ago I foolishly got infected with what F-Secure said was Gen:Variant.Kazy.706. I thought I'd gotten rid of it with the help of F-Secure, some Googling and deletion of files that were supposed to be part of said virus. F-Secure and some anti-malware software (forgot its name, was recommended on forums) both checked out clean so I thought that was the end of it.

However, a couple of hours after, my monitor's graphics went into complete blur/distortion and a few seconds after, the cursor wouldn't move and then the computer would reboot. It continued doing the same thing in irregular intervals it seemed, just during normal usage (not games, etc). I've attached a picture here I took during one of those times (excuse me for the quality!):

Posted Image

Thinking it was the virus, being too lazy to fight it, and also kind of wanting to make the move from Vista to 7, I decided to just go for a format. I did so, installed 7 without problems and thought I was good... until the same thing happened again.

So, as I said, formating my hard drive and installing another OS didn't help. I then switched the graphics card to a different one for a test -- didn't help. I then tested my memory sticks one by one with Memtest+86, all passed. So the problem still persists for me.

Most recently, I applied an update to my BIOS. On the first attempt after, the computer wouldn't start-up anymore. It'd try, but it went on a loop of the power source LED just dying and going back on every few seconds. That hasn't happened since, but the BIOS update brought on a new problem: every five or ten minutes or so, the processor fan and the fan at the back of the computer start whirring like crazy for a while. The first time this happened, the computer actually rebooted itself.

So in summary, my problems are the graphics completely distorting before the system freezes at irregular intervals (AFAIK), and now the fans that are going nuts every once in a while. Common sense tells me it can't be the virus anymore, but the timing just seems like too much of a coincidence... these problems arose the same day I got infected. Still, I'm guessing it's probably a hardware problem by now. Unfortunately I don't have access to a spare motherboard, processor or power source to test with...

Any ideas on what could be the issue here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:38 PM

IMO a standard format many times will not get rid of pests that get into your system, I would go to the HD makers site and down load their write to -0- program. It will clean everything of the drive, you best bet anytime you think you have been hit with a bug is a -0- write program.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:56 AM

What I am saying is the probability of remnants of a bug being left behind is fairly high, hackers are getting better and better at hiding bits and pieces. Many can be gotten rid of with the help and tools found on this site but some are not! First I would move this post to the Am I infected section there may be help there, there are some very special people up here you may just get lucky. If that does not help then do what I suggested above

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 day_tripper

day_tripper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:35 AM

Thanks for your help OldPhil. I think I've managed to fix the problem now. More here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users