Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

two hdds need both to boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rfgggg

rfgggg

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:17 PM

ho hum hum ho back again....i finally got new system up and running....clean install of xp...got two hdds, my old 80 gig ide and my new 500 gig sata...everythings good exept for one problem....sometime during install,i think, it erased everything off my old 80 gig ide,i was only installing to my sata....but now ive got some files on the ide (boot.ini, io.sys, msdos.sys, config.sys,ntdetect.com, ntldr,autoexec.dat and the folders recycler and system volume information) on the sata ive got all the boot files(as far as i can tell) and the windows folder is on there to....when i tell my system to boot from the sata it gives me that it cant saying that hal.dll is missing or corrupt....the only way i can boot up is to tell it to boot from the ide which then it works fine....this is really annoying me cause i wanted to get old files off the ide then install ubuntu to it....so if anyone can fix this(just the boot thing not the file recovery part) id be really happy....thanks in advance

p.s. if it helps any heres whats in the boot.ini on my sata(its same for the ide)

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:22 PM

Ahh I have had this issue before, windows xp most likely installed the windows files on the 500 GB drive and the Boot files on the 80GB drive. Really the only thing that I can think of to fix it would be to reinstall windows xp with your 80GB drive unplugged so that there is no chance any thing will be installed on it. That is about the only thing that I can think of for the moment. Your files will hopefully still be on the 80GB drive. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 rfgggg

rfgggg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:25 PM

well to see if i could fix it i unplugged my 500 installed to my 80(well it was actually to fix something else when i tryed to fix the boot thing) so then i did that and it changed the boot.ini file so it has both the OSs on there...since they both have boot files(i copied them from the 80) i just copied the new boot.ini to the 500 and hopfully itll work..im bout to try it out....

#4 rfgggg

rfgggg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:31 PM

it works! and as an added bonus i stuck one of my sticks of ram in my system that i thought was dead(well actually it was working a while back) and it worked! i now have another gig of ram im so happy!

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:06 PM

Glad to hear it!

Have a good day. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 P.C.Guy

P.C.Guy

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:04 PM

Thanks for posting this issue, I will add this issue to my memory (pun intended).
My Blog: New PC Tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users