Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 orchard01

orchard01

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:32 AM

Hello
I have windows 7 and using either explore or safari. The time I wait for pages to display, upload or download is long, slow and I am lucky to have them. Frequently the pages freeze, a message of no internet connection is posted, and shut down of the system.
Would appreciate any advice or suggestion what to do.

leeal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:03 PM

I suggest, you start new topic in "Am I Infected?" forum.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 orchard01

orchard01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:25 AM

thank you. I did and they could not find an infection.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:11 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Can you tell us a little about your setup?

How are you accessing the Internet?

To help you provide the answers I am looking for, I'll add a little more detail to my question.

From your computer, what are you using for hardware to access the Internet? (Details on your NIC please.)

From your computer, what is connected between it and the actual outside World-wide-web? (do you have a router?)

Is this a DSL or cable modem or dial up connection?

What firewall are you using?

What Anti-virus program are you using?

If I do not reply to you in a timely manner, please feel free to PM me along with the link to this thread.

Kind regards.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 orchard01

orchard01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:52 AM

Hello
Per your questions: i am connected through a calble, router, firewall and anti virous=CA (from bright house) and it is sa elfbuild windows 7.
thank you

leeal

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:21 PM

You mention a router. Are there other computers connected, and are they experiencing the same issues?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:23 AM

Okay you mentioned a router.

You did not provide any information on your NIC which I assume is an Ethernet card.

I believe that is what you meant by Cable, if I am wrong and your connecting through a wireless adapter, please let me know. This makes a world of difference, because Wireless connections are more prone to problems (such as interference) than a wired Ethernet cable connections are.

Also there are settings found in some router's setup utilities that can restrict some web browsing abilities.

What is the make and model number of your router?

Once I know this information, it will make it easier for me to suggest a possible solution.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 orchard01

orchard01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:10 PM

We have total of 3 computers connected and all of them experience the same problems.
what is NIC?
when I said cale = broadband connection.
i am connected trough cabel, one is wirelss, and one is a combination of both.
Router info: Linksys #doual- band wirles -N gigabit router WRT320N
no connections restrictions.
thanks...leeal

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:33 AM

NIC is an abbreviation for Network Interface Card.

This would be the adapter inside your computer that communicates with the next device you have in line to access the Internet.

So in your case you have a wireless adapter and an Ethernet adapter.

Below I am borrowing a quote from your opening post.

The time I wait for pages to display, upload or download is long, slow and I am lucky to have them. Frequently the pages freeze, a message of no internet connection is posted, and shut down of the system.

In your quote above you mentioned a shut down of the system. Are you saying your computer shuts down on its own? I am not quite clear on that statement, can you add more details please?

Also in your last post, you stated you are having the 'same' issue with 3 entirely different computers?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

#10 orchard01

orchard01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:40 AM

yes, the computer freeze, screen goes, black shut down and restart on its own.
The other computers having the same issues of slow internet.
Shutting down the others and work on one computer at a time did not make a diffrence.

leeal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users