Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Cannot Save Pictures!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lostcause

lostcause

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 30 November 2005 - 12:22 AM

I recently purchased a new computer. When browsing webpages I cannot simply right click a picture and click save picture as. If there is an image on a website that is clearly a jpg, gif, etc when I right click and save picture as it will only save it as an ART file or a BMP file.

If you chose to save it as a BMP file when you try to view the picture it says no preview available.

I have tried a couple of things to fix it and nothing works.

What seems to be wrong with it?

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 04:17 AM

perhaps clearing the cache will solve this.
microsft link here; http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;260650
how to do this from that page here;

Delete the temporary Internet files. To do so, click Tools, click Internet Options, click the General tab, and then click the Delete Files button.

I can no longer sit back and allow Microsoft infiltration, Microsoft indoctrination, Microsoft subversion, and the international Microsoft conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious open source GNU/Linux operating systems. General Jack D. Ripper.

#3 Floydoid

Floydoid

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 30 November 2005 - 04:29 AM

It might also be worth revising your internet cache size (tools / internet options / general / temporary internet files / settings).

I find that 2048 MB is more than adequate.
Posted Image "Is it any wonder that the monkey's confused?"

#4 Busybuffalos

Busybuffalos

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 30 November 2005 - 11:11 AM

Pehaps a simple download of apicture archive tool such as picasa or digimarc will do the trick.It sounds like your system just does not recognize the format.

[img]
http://www.busybuffalos.com/graphix/images/index_09.png[/img]

#5 lostcause

lostcause
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 02:45 PM

I have tried already deleting the cache. I tried to resolve this issue before with an HP tech Support guy.

He had me make sure the right internet explorer options were checked which they were. But he concluded there surely was something wrong since I should be able to save a jpg of gif file without a problem.

Why would a brand new HP not recognize the format of simple pictures online???

I am sure it is something easy to fix it I just have to find out what it is.

:thumbsup:

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:05 PM

Open 'My Computer' and in the menu bar click on Tools>Folder Options.
Select the 'File Types' tab and scroll down until you find JPEG and JPG file extensions. What is listed as the associated program?

If your system contains no graphics software to deal with jpgs and gifs it normally associates them with Internet Explorer which can handle these files. If your jpgs etc are associated with IE then the problem lies with IE. Reset the settings to defaults or look at a repair. There is a tutorial to fix IE here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...ress-tut71.html

If those files are associated with IE you should consider installing a graphics package. There are some good free applications which give you basic functions e.g. Irfanview is a free graphic viewer for personal use, which can view and edit images and playback video. Download it from here.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users