Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Windows XP upgrade that fails

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 junga

junga

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:41 AM

My Computer keeps trying to install this update and fails:

"Size: 501 KB

Install this update to resolve issues caused by revised daylight saving time and time zone laws in several countries. This update enables your computer to automatically adjust the computer clock on the correct date in 2010. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information for this update can be found at http://support.microsoft.com/KB/2158563"

How can I sucessfully install this. My last resort is turning off windows update. I don't want to see that red ballon tray popup though...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:48 AM

Have you tried to install a sp, a service pack? I f so which one is your pc running? You can manually adjust your computers clock.Just click on the lower right side where the clock is and adjust it.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#3 junga

junga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:37 PM

This desktop is quite old, Pentium 4 HT - Windows XP. I've installed many updates including windows xp SP3. This lingering automatic update keeps failing. More nuisance than a problem. I've adjusted the clock to the right time, maybe the computer disagrees? lol

One thing I've noticed is that I am unable to synchronize with an Internet Time Server.
Time.Windows.com is down?
Is that relevant?

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:41 PM

Does the update show any error messages when it try's to install?

Is that relevant?

Well lets see, click the url and there should be more in the list just use a different one and then see if it syncs.

Edited by computerxpds, 27 November 2010 - 02:43 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 P.C.Guy

P.C.Guy

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:12 PM

This desktop is quite old, Pentium 4 HT - Windows XP. I've installed many updates including windows xp SP3. This lingering automatic update keeps failing. More nuisance than a problem. I've adjusted the clock to the right time, maybe the computer disagrees? lol

One thing I've noticed is that I am unable to synchronize with an Internet Time Server.
Is that relevant?

I'm not sure whether it's relevant,but he's something that may help you with the time server issue. http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/timewindowscom-sync-failure/161461.html
My Blog: New PC Tips

#6 junga

junga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:39 PM

Although I cannot sychronize properly, I think the issue is simply an update problem. This is the update info once again:

"Size: 501 KB

Install this update to resolve issues caused by revised daylight saving time and time zone laws in several countries. This update enables your computer to automatically adjust the computer clock on the correct date in 2010. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer."

One problem I found was that everytime I go to shutdown the computer, there is an Install Update 1 of 1 that fails before it turns off. It never goes away. It could be that I already downloaded the update but it just simply won't install properly.

#7 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:36 AM

If you go to the Windows Update page:

(Go to Start>RUN> type 'wupdmgr.exe' without the scarce quotes, press Okay.)

On the left hand side there is a line that says 'Reveiew your update history', if you look at that , there should be an update with a red X, click that and it will give you an error message, what does that say?

ETA: It is not a good idea to turn off Windows Updates.

Edited by Mooseby, 28 November 2010 - 08:37 AM.

#8 junga

junga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:25 PM

A popup says, "Installation Error - Error Code: 0x8007F0F4 " comes up.

I Downloaded tclock program and successfully synchronized with a time server. The Windows Update balloon has subsided yay. My update history is filled with that same failed installation.

I still would like to find a fix on this.

#9 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 03:22 PM

A popup says, "Installation Error - Error Code: 0x8007F0F4 " comes up.

I Downloaded tclock program and successfully synchronized with a time server. The Windows Update balloon has subsided yay. My update history is filled with that same failed installation.

I still would like to find a fix on this.

Hi, which KB/update is the the error on?

That would help, you can also try disabling the Windows Time service.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users