Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Can't Stop Booting In Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mjd2k

mjd2k

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:18 PM

Ok I blew it.
I could not boot into safe mode. It kept going as far as the YES NO (safe boot) screen. The option showed for 3 seconds and dissapeared, then a black screen with safe mode written in each corner. Can't get past this.
so I changed msconfig to boot in safe.
Dumb move because now it keeps booting in safe mode just as before and Icant get it to boot in normal so Ican't use the computer at all. Computer is @$%#$

I have been working on this for 3 days. Here's what I have done so far.
1) Let my subscription to norton expire and had winfix (didn't know at the time what it was)
2) Upgraded to Norton System Works 2006
3) Installed nsw and all was OK
4) Couple days later could not open any programs
5) Could not open msconig, regedit. If I typed registry in google, it shut down IE
6) Took out NSW 2006 using all thier removal utilities
7) Downloaded and ran
Adaware, Micro Trend, Stinger, Spysweeper, and many more that I can't remember but I can't get at the screen to tell you.
Finally able to get into safe mode and took out csrss.exe from start menu.
8) Ttied to reinstall nsw 2006 but it locks at activation screen (I already paid for it but can't get any support)
9) Was not able to download microsft antispyware before but was finally able to today.
10) Downloaded Winfixer remover also
11) Tried to get into safe mode to run microsoft and winfix remover but could not get into safe mode
12) Changed msconfig to boot in safe mode but it locks up and I can't change it back to normal

This is a nightmare.

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:28 PM

:thumbsup: I don't have problems.
Do you boot right into Safe Mode or to the Boot Menu?Can you boot to Safe Mode with command line only?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 mjd2k

mjd2k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:32 AM

:thumbsup: I don't have problems.
Do you boot right into Safe Mode or to the Boot Menu?Can you boot to Safe Mode with command line only?

I boot right into "partial" safe mode. If I f8, I can get the boot menu (?) but of course, the new normal is now safe mode thanks to my changing the msconfig.
After I went to bed last night I was thinking that when this happened a few days ago, I removed nsw and was then able to boot into safe mode. Too bad Ican't get at normal boot to get rid of it.
I can get to the dos commands if I f8 but I wouldn't know what to do when I get there.

Edited by mjd2k, 30 November 2005 - 09:34 AM.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:41 AM

Can you use a restore point in System Restore to before the problem? It will at least undo the boot to safe mode problem.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 10:35 AM

csrss.exe in the C:\Windows\system32 sub-directory is a critical Windows process. Is this the one that you stopped from starting (here's some links about the real and fake versions:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...mc_str_elqj.asp
http://www.auditmypc.com/process/csrss.asp )

I'd suggest that you go into Recovery Console and re-enable it from there IF it was the real one that you stopped from starting (I don't know squat about the RC, so I can't offer any advice there).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 mjd2k

mjd2k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 10:56 AM

Can you use a restore point in System Restore to before the problem? It will at least undo the boot to safe mode problem.

I applied, last known good config but it did nothing.
Do you have any other thoughts?

"csrss.exe in the C:\Windows\system32 sub-directory is a critical Windows process. Is this the one that you stopped from starting (here's some links about the real and fake versions:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...mc_str_elqj.asp
http://www.auditmypc.com/process/csrss.asp )

I'd suggest that you go into Recovery Console and re-enable it from there IF it was the real one that you stopped from starting (I don't know squat about the RC, so I can't offer any advice there)."

I had done some research and the csrss.exe was part of a virus that was stopping me from doing just about anything. When I disabled it, life was better until I changed that damn startup in msconfig.

I would love to run the suggested links you provided but I can't get to the normal startup to run them.

If I could just find a way to boot into normal, I think I could work through this with a bit of help from this forum.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 06:13 PM

Sorry, but it sounds like you need to use the Recovery Console - and I don't know much of anything about that.

I've read that it is possible to disable items from starting by using Recovery Console - I'd imagine that there should be a way to enable them also.

Edited by usasma, 04 December 2005 - 06:14 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 mjd2k

mjd2k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 10:18 PM

Sorry, but it sounds like you need to use the Recovery Console - and I don't know much of anything about that.

I've read that it is possible to disable items from starting by using Recovery Console - I'd imagine that there should be a way to enable them also.

Thanks for the response. I did use the recovery console but since I had turned off system restore while trying to get things resolved it took me back to an arbitrary point.

It did not do much other than wipe out most of my apps but it did take me back to windows and I have since restored normal booting to windows.

First time I have used the console cause before I was worried about having to rebuild from scratch but its Ok so far. I'm impressed. It wasn't so bad at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users