Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Upgarde Netbook?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ezooone

ezooone

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:36 PM

Hello..This is about my friend's netbook..

So I'm curious to know can a netbook can be I upgrade?

This is the specification about his netbook..

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Starter
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name ILLA-PC
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP Mini 110-3000
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel® Atom™ CPU N475 @ 1.83GHz, 1833 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.07, 25/6/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale Malaysia
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
User Name Illa-PC\Johannis
Time Zone Malay Peninsula Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 1.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 0.99 GB
Available Physical Memory 298 MB
Total Virtual Memory 1.99 GB
Available Virtual Memory 953 MB
Page File Space 1.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Well..can we ugrade the ram and grahic card?
That's all I want to ask..Thanks..
:wink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Luke L

Luke L

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:22 PM

"can we ugrade the ram?"
Yes
"and grahic card?"
No, but there is still hope.

So here's your friend's laptop: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ie/en/ho/WF06a/321957-321957-3329744-3832383-3832383-4166077.html

It says that the maximum memory supported is 2GB, so you can double your memory. There's only one slot available so you will have to buy a 2GB stick and replace the one GB stick already in your laptop.
Graphics cards for laptops are usually integrated into the motherboard and therefore can't be replaced. But, your graphics card uses shared memory. That means it just takes memory from the RAM and uses that. You can increase the amount of shared memory for the graphics card to 256MB which might help a little. You can turn up the amount of shared memory via the BIOS I think.

#3 ezooone

ezooone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:38 PM

"You can turn up the amount of shared memory via the BIOS"

Thanks Luke..Can you show me how to setting the shared memory via BIOS?

So..that means this netbook does not have any slot for grahpic card right?

#4 Luke L

Luke L

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:15 PM

Restart the computer, and hold the F2 key (or rapidly press it, or just press it when the splash screen tells you to) while it is booting up. When I say while it is booting up, I mean right when the power comes on. Not when the Windows loading screen up, that is way too late. You will have to look around until you find something that looks like it is the graphics card memory.

Since you don't seem to know what the BIOS is I will tell you this: There are a ton of settings in the BIOS that if you change them to the wrong thing, it could mess up your computer. The BIOS is kind of advanced, so be careful! Don't change something unless you know exactly what it is! Take Caution!

Also, like I said, this is shared memory. If you put it up to 256 mb, then you will only have 3/4 of a gb for the rest of your system to use. Just to let you know.

I am not sure how much upping the memory will help... but it should allow you to have more detailed textures and stuff.

Post back if you have any questions... especially questions concerning the BIOS.

#5 ezooone

ezooone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:29 PM

When I put it up to 256 mb..Is there are any negative effect on the netbook?

#6 Luke L

Luke L

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:15 AM

Yes,
performance in everything else besides graphics will be decreased, because you have will have less RAM dedicated to regular everyday application usage. I think that you should try it and see what you think. See if the graphics performance gain is worth the performance loss of everything else. You will like the 256 mb shared memory a lot if what you want to do is play games, which a netbook isn't suitable for but still.

But, the performance loss in everyday application usage wouldn't really be as dramatic if you upgraded to 2GB or RAM.
So really, a ram upgrade and uping the shared memory go hand in hand.

And before you upgrade the ram, I am gonna ask if you could give me the exact model number of your friends netbook?
I researched everything with the following term: System Model HP Mini 110-3000
But it appears that that is just the model series. Here are all the possibilities: http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_lang=en&h_cc=us&cc=us&h_page=hpcom&lang=en&h_client=S-A-R163-1&h_pagetype=s-001&h_query=HP+Mini+110-3000+&submit=Go+%BB

Some of the 110-3000 series have upgradeable ram and some do not..

Edited by Luke L, 27 November 2010 - 12:17 AM.

#7 ezooone

ezooone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:23 AM

Oh.. I see..Thanks Luke..Thanks for helping us..

I can't tell you the exact model..because the specification I posted is from the system..we already checked all the area at the netbook but we could not find the model including the battery part..

Well I ask my friend to fint the netbook' s box package if there a exact model..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users