Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Open or Install a Download on Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MrRoss

MrRoss

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:50 PM

Hi all. I'm hoping someone can help me or tell me where to look for answers. I'm a new Linux user. I've only had it a couple of weeks. I'm working on some content for a game release and I've Downloaded it. Then I figured out how to Extract it. This is where I'm stuck.

It's not like Windows where you just click on it and an Installer pops up. I just have a folder with a bunch of files in it on my desktop. I can see the names of the files and some of them I am familiar with. Best I can figure is that I have to Compile it or something? Everything I see on Google talks about creating the tar files or extracting them. One site mentioned using some kind of codes or commands, but I wouldn't know where to type them in. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:02 PM

For the most part if you're trying to install programs and Applications in Ubuntu you can get them through Synaptic (System> Admin>Synaptic Package Manager) or Ubuntu Software Center (Applications>Ubuntu Software Center) which will pull lists of Applications and Programs from the Repositories and install them for you.

If the Package you want is not found in the "repos" then you'll need to find an *.deb file which acts like a *.msi file in windows and allows easy installation (similar to installing a program in windows) in Ubuntu.

If the package you want is unavailable in *.deb but is available in *.rpm you can use the "alien" command to convert the package to *.deb. You'll need to run "sudo apt-get install alien" in the terminal to install the command first. after that go to the directory you've downloaded the *.rpm to (ie: if you downloaded it to the Desktop the command would be "cd Desktop") and run the command "alien -d package name.rpm"

If it is only available in *.tar.gz format there is no option but to "compile" it and "create" a *.deb for it. Which is a whole lot more than this post can handle. If you need to compile it please list the name of the application you're trying to install as some applications are different than others.

Commands in this Post and what they do

sudo apt-get install alien
Sudo: Super User Do (creates a one command super user, root, session)
apt-get: command line package manager
install alien: exactly what it says

cd Desktop
cd: change directory
Pay attention to capitalization desktop is not the same directory as Desktop (I believe Ubuntu only has Desktop by default)

alien -d package name.rpm
alien: run the alien command
-d: convert to .deb file

Posted Image

#3 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:18 PM

Just to double check, but was the game you downloaded written for Linux?

If it was written for Windows you won't be able to run it on Linux. You'll be able to download it and see it, but it won't run.

#4 MrRoss

MrRoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:27 PM

Hello BlackSpyder. Thank you for responding to my post. The package I'm working with came as a *.tar.bz2. I did not see it in the Synaptic Package Manager.

Where would I find the *.deb file or *.rpm file?
Also, if I would need to run any commands could you please tell me where to type them in?

I understand if compiling and creating is too lengthy or complicated for a post in the forum. I mentioned it because I saw a folder that said compiler on it. If I do need to go this route would you know where I could read up on it? Thank you again.

#5 MrRoss

MrRoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:32 PM

Just to double check, but was the game you downloaded written for Linux?

If it was written for Windows you won't be able to run it on Linux. You'll be able to download it and see it, but it won't run.

Hello Capn Easy. It is for Linux. There was also a Windows version. It was a *.zip file. The game itself will be released for Windows. My windows computer crashed so I asked them for a Linux version.

#6 MrRoss

MrRoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:45 PM

In the Synaptic Package Manager I did a search for ".deb" and this is what came up as already installed. I'm not sure if this is what you mean.

apt-xapian-index
base-files
debconf
debconf-i18n
debianutils
libept1
python-debian
xml-core

I will be mainly proofreading text for the game. Depending upon how long that will take I may also test the game. I'm told it is a text-heavy game so there may not be time for both within the deadline.

#7 Trezax

Trezax

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:59 AM

Source files need to be compiled before installing them. You have to launch the terminal, access the folder containing your extracted source files using the cd command, then issue these commands:

./configure

make

sudo make install

clean install

You need to install "build-essentials" so the above commands run.

You can read the ReadMe or Install text file that comes with your source files for more installation help.

#8 MrRoss

MrRoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:39 PM

Hello Trezax. Thank you for your help as well. I do not see a ReadMe or Install file in any of the folders.

I have located the terminal and used the cd Desktop command. Not sure how to access the file from there. Additionally, I am not sure if I have the "build-essentials" you mentioned. I do not see "build-essentials" in the Synaptic Package Manager or the Ubuntu Software Center in the listings under installed or not installed. I'm at the Desktop. Any additional anyone can give me will be appreciated. Thanks.

#9 hasafraker

hasafraker

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:11 PM

MrRoss,

Quite honestly if you're running Ubuntu you'd be better served going to the ubuntu forums, http://ubuntuforums.org/ however, also I'd be inclined to contact the folks who built the package you're trying to install and ask them if they have any documentation regarding it's installation, you will fight this for a while if it depends on any packages that you're not aware of that aren't already installed. Good luck!

H

#10 MrRoss

MrRoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:07 PM

Hello hasafraker. Thank you for the link. It will be most helpful. I have sent an email off and am waiting to hear back. The best I can tell it is written in Python. I added everything I could see in the repository relating to Python in case there was something there that may be what I was needing.

I did attempt to run these commands in the terminal after using the sudo command, but it will not configure. It tells me - bash: ./configure: No such file or directory

./configure

make

sudo make install

clean install

I will check the Ubuntu forums and wait for a reply and take it from there. Thank you all very much.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:05 PM

It would help if we knew the game you downloaded so we can see the installation instructions. I use Ubuntu here as well, and I am quite familiar with Linux and can assist you.

#12 MrRoss

MrRoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:44 PM

Hello, cryptodan, this game has not been tested or released yet. I may just have to wait for my employer to get back to me. I thank you for your reply. I am 100% sure that you could help me. I know, though, that if I had spent a year or two of my life developing a game I wouldn't want any information about it to be revealed before it was ready to be released. From what I see in your signature I believe you may see it when it is released. I found several general guides online and muddled my way through them attempting various things with no luck. I did try the 'more INSTALL' command after the sudo one and again received the file not found result. Thanks.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:01 PM

To unzip the package try this:

tar -jxvf filename.tar.bz2

What the command does is this tar is the achiever used, and the following flags -jxvf performs the following:

j = bzip which is denoted by bz2
x = extract the contents
v = verbose read out
f = file name to be used

Then you would simply do the following:

cd filename

and to verify you are in the filename directory do the following

pwd

What that does is prints the current working directory.

Then you do the following:

ls -la

That will list all the files located in the current working directory.

In the directory there should be an INSTALL or a README file with which there should be directions on how to run the game or install it.

#14 hasafraker

hasafraker

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:02 AM

MrRoss,

with luck your employer will provide you with good instructions and this will soon be resolved! if you tried to run the ./configure and it complains it just doesn't exist in your home directory or if you've changed to a different directory it doesn't exist in the current working directory. Sounds like cryptodan can give you good solid advice too so you are probably in good hands! Good luck!

H

#15 MrRoss

MrRoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:26 AM

Good morning, cryptodan and hasafraker.

ls -la worked wonderfully! It brought up around 60 files and I do not see an INSTALL or README file anywhere. This may be the source of the problem. I sent off another email asking if one was sent. I really appreciate the help!

I did notice a file called only "." and another one called only ".." without the quotation marks. Is this usual or odd? Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users