Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 x64 Forgets Wireless Security Key

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BrandonWenger

BrandonWenger

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:31 PM

For some reason, I have to enter my wireless security key every time I restart/reboot Windows. This includes resuming from hibernation. My drivers are up to date, my system scans clean, and I am running ESET Smart Security 4.2.40.0. I have tried disabling the firewall briefly to see if it might be an exclusion issue, but it did not help. Here are my network settings:

You are connected to the internet
Connected through Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter
IP Address 192.168.1.110
External IP Address [I removed this.]
Adapter Type IEEE 802.11 wireless
WinInet Info
LAN Connection
Local system uses a local area network to connect to the Internet
Local system has RAS to connect to the Internet
Wi-Fi Info
Using native Wi-Fi API version 2
Available access points count 1
Wi-Fi ()
SSID
Frequency 2437000 kHz
Channel Number 6
Name
Signal Strength/Quality 100
Security Enabled
State The interface is connected to a network
Dot11 Type Infrastructure BSS network
Network Connectible
Network Flags Currently Connected to this network
Cipher Algorithm to be used when joining this network Temporal Key Integrity Protocol (TKIP) algorithm
Default Auth used to join this network for the first time WPA algorithm that uses preshared keys (PSK)
WinHTTPInfo
WinHTTPSessionProxyType No proxy
Session Proxy
Session Proxy Bypass
Connect Retries 5
Connect Timeout 60000
HTTP Version HTTP 1.1
Max Connects Per 1.0 Servers INFINITE
Max Connects Per Servers INFINITE
Max HTTP automatic redirects 10
Max HTTP status continue 10
Send Timeout 30000
IEProxy Auto Detect No
IEProxy Auto Config
IEProxy
IEProxy Bypass
Default Proxy Config Access Type No proxy
Default Config Proxy
Default Config Proxy Bypass

I have tried to change the properties so that it connects to my home network even if it is not broadcasting but for some reason, this option is now missing. Also, when I try to manually add the network in the sharing center, I get a message saying that access is denied. There are no problems with actually connecting to the internet, nor do the other two laptops in the house have this issue. I feel it necessary to note that this laptop does not remember any other networks. Something that I have noticed is that my ping gets a little wonky from time to time, but rights itself soon after. There are also periodic dropouts in connection, usually 5 to 10 seconds, but I am under Comcast so I am not surprised. I respect and appreciate bleepingcomputer's stance on the usage of torrents, but if you have to post the entire admonishment against them, I understand. I am just trying to simplify the response process for you. I bring this up because uTorrent has been acting weird lately. I am not asking for help with uTorrent! I do not want help with it; torrenting is what it is, and I accept that. I am merely bringing this up in case it helps with diagnosis. I keep getting errors when I try to run the connection setup, and I have tried port forwarding but it does not help.
Here are things that have changed in my system since the Windows network connections last worked properly:

I have had a blue screen error that told me the...Irql was not less or equal...? I am not sure, because it has stopped. I was trying to learn how to use SoftIce, and it changed something in my adapter properties. I defaulted the settings, rebooted, and uninstalled when I knew that my wireless was working again. Then, I downloaded a trial of Avast Pro from the official site, looking for a more comprehensive security solution than Avast free version. The installation failed to complete, giving me an error in Avastspeak (some code specific to their product and support) before telling me to reboot. I rebooted, and I got the blue screen again. Rebooted, ran in Safe Mode, deleted Avast entries from the registry, rebooted, and Windows ran just fine. Thinking that I may have downloaded a corrupted installer, I pulled the trial off the site again and started over. And got the blue screen again.

The final thing that has changed (to my knowledge) is that I repartitioned my drive after a failed attempt at a Linux/Windows 7/Windows XP triple-boot. I am only running 7 now, but the hard disk had to be converted from dynamic to basic before I could merge the remaining two partitions. It all went over without hitch, but again, it is something that has changed since my system was fine.

Anyone have any ideas? I have posted my system specs as of this morning as my signature, as reported by Speccy. I will post whatever else is needed.

Thanks in advance,
Brandon

Edited by BrandonWenger, 26 November 2010 - 08:57 PM.

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 720QM @ 1.60GHz 58 C
Clarksfield 45nm Technology
RAM
6.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 659MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. G73Jh (Socket 989)
Graphics
MEUSLCD4 @ 1920x1080
Generic PnP Monitor @ 1600x900
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
Hard Drives
488GB Seagate ST9500420AS (SATA) 40 C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT32N
DWVM XQRCP67K9 SCSI CdRom Device
MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0000
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roderunner

Roderunner

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:01 PM

Hi Brandon, power off all that connects wirelessly to you router. Access your router settings from a wired connection, copy the SSID & Passphrase to note pad. Change both of them. Power on the machine your having trouble with, add new network to it, then delete original network. Reboot to test for 'auto connection'. If successfull, repeat the process by inserting original SSID & passphrase to your router.

George's PC Specs. / Laptop.  Desktop.

#3 BrandonWenger

BrandonWenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:52 PM

Roderunner,

Thank you for responding to this. There are no connections in my wireless settings. The only time a connection shows up is when I am actually connected wirelessly. This is where the "access denied" error pops up. Any time I try to manually add the network, I get that error as soon as I try to apply the new settings. There is no lag; nor does the busy icon so much as flicker. It simply refuses to allow a new connection. Knowing this, I tried taking ownership of my C: drive (which did clear up some long-standing issues I had been having). No luck. I also went into Control Panel>>Programs and Features>>Turn Windows features on or off>> and made sure the internet services were enabled. I have checked the services to ensure that the network services were set to automatic... I don't know what to do. There are other people online that are having this issue, but I have yet to find someone that can share a working fix. Again, I appreciate your help. Let me know if you have any other ideas.

Brandon
Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 720QM @ 1.60GHz 58 C
Clarksfield 45nm Technology
RAM
6.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 659MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. G73Jh (Socket 989)
Graphics
MEUSLCD4 @ 1920x1080
Generic PnP Monitor @ 1600x900
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
Hard Drives
488GB Seagate ST9500420AS (SATA) 40 C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT32N
DWVM XQRCP67K9 SCSI CdRom Device
MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0000
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio