Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acpi Trouble

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 im_no_good_with_computers

im_no_good_with_computers

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 09:15 PM

can anyone tell my why my computer thinks it has an acpi multiprocessor pc and tries to install it on every time i start my pc but then it says it cant install it b/c it hasnt passed windows logo testing to see its compatibility with xp so i stop the instalation but it comes up again the next time i boot my pc
my pc runs on an acpi uniprocessor pc cna you tell my why it thinks it has an acpi multiprocessor pc everytime i start my pc all of a sudden (it never did this b4)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 10:52 PM

What kind of system do you have? Hardware specifications please>

If you hadn't enabled hyperthreading (with a later P4) then it may have been enabled and gave you this error.

Probably can happen with dual-core CPU's also.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 twixster

twixster

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:27 AM

From what i can tell it is just some power managment software and even though it has not passed the windows logo test (what a joke) it should install just fine. I have had windows tell me that certain software has not passed the windows logo test before but it has never told me that i can not install it.

If u can give some system specs maybe we can help a little more

#4 im_no_good_with_computers

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 02:56 PM

i have a compaq presario
pentium 4 2.6 ghz, 504mb ram, sp1, windows xp home edition version 2002

so are you saying i should just go ahead and install?

#5 twixster

twixster

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 30 November 2005 - 05:36 PM

all it means is that they never ran a stupid compatibility test between there software and windows....

I don't see any reason why it would cause a problem at the moment. Your other option is to call compaq tech support and see what they say or try to get the latest driver from them....

#6 im_no_good_with_computers

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 06:10 PM

ya rimmer told me not to install it
but ya i tried to call support but they were trying to charge me 44 bucks to talk to a guy

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2005 - 01:44 PM

Windows certification of any kind means that Microsoft has certified that software to work with Windows.

If it's not certified, there's no surety that standard troubleshooting will work (this happened to me with some custom video drivers), because the troubleshooting is based on troubleshooting a Windows system.

This doesn't mean that the software won't work (and it may even work better in some cases) - but what it does mean is that:
1) Standard troubleshooting may not fix it
2) Microsoft won't help you with this - they'll refuse any support (I've gotten a lot of free support from them under the condition that I revert to their certified software)
3) You're at the mercy of the software writer for fixes to the software itself.

There isn't necessarily a problem with the software - but how will you know that? If it doesn't work, and the standard troubleshooting doesn't work - what does that leave you with?

FWIW - that's why I've got 2 systems. One for everyday work and the other surfing the web and testing stuff on. I can't afford to lose the time it takes to get a system back up and running because of some poorly written piece of software.

Also, I'd follow Rimmer's advice. I've PM'd with him a couple of times, have read many of his posts, and he knows what he's talking about.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 im_no_good_with_computers

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2005 - 02:54 PM

ok thanks i just thinks its irritating how everytime time i boot my pc it asks to install it

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2005 - 03:25 PM

I'd suggest that you try googling for different terms relating to this problem (as you have time). It may take a while, but you may stumble upon something that we haven't been able to find.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users