Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reboot During Windows Startup

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Blue2kMustangGT

Blue2kMustangGT

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:57 PM

My Windows2000 computer is rebooting at startup. I hear one beep, I see the large Win2000 splash screen, the progress bar completes, screen changes to blue background with a small Win2000 dialog that says "starting windows", this runs for about 10 seconds, screen goes to black, computer reboots. This happens continuously.

I opened the case, the processor fan is running and clean, the chassis fan is running and clean.

Safe mode runs fine, I ran Ad-Aware, SpyBot, and Microsoft Antispyware with no problems. The event log has events with Source:Save Dump EventId:1001. Here is the event text:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck 0x00000035 (0x81565B08, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00).
Microsoft Windows 2000 [v15.2195]. Dump saved: c:\WinNT\MiniDump\Mini112905-01.dmp

2nd event: bugcheck 0x00000035 (0x81563C08, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00). Mini112905-02.dmp
3rd event: bugcheck 0x00000035 (0x81563008, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00). Mini112905-03.dmp

I opended the .dmp files with NotePad and WordPad, the files say PageDump and display all kinds of crazy character codes (looks like a binary file).

What can I do next????? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thank you,
Bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 09:14 PM

If you have two sticks of RAM pull one and see if it runs normally. If it still reboots try swaping the RAM (remove the first and install the second).
Let us know the results.

Could you list the specs on your computer.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Blue2kMustangGT

Blue2kMustangGT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 09:51 PM

If you have two sticks of RAM pull one and see if it runs normally. If it still reboots try swaping the RAM (remove the first and install the second).
Let us know the results.

Could you list the specs on your computer.

Hi, I swapped the RAM for a known working stick, same problem.

ASUS P4S533-X Motherboard
Intel P4 2.66GHz
512MB Ram
Win2k SP4

I downloaded some tools from microsoft to help decode the dump files, I'll post the results when I get them.

Thanks for your help!
Bill

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 09:55 PM

This utility may help. BIOS beep & POST codes

#5 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 02 December 2005 - 01:45 PM

Blue2kMustangGT:

At least you can get into safe mode.
Did you add any software/hardware/driver etc. to your computer that would have caused this?
By the way, I have never had much luck in decoding dump files. It is worth a try if nothing else points to the cause.

Keep us posted.
JC

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:11 PM

Error Message:

STOP: 0x00000035 (parameter, parameter, parameter, parameter) NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS
Explanation:

This is a Windows 2000 Executive character-mode STOP message. It indicates that the I/O system detected a call from one driver to another with no available IRP (I/O request packet) stack locations remaining in the packet for the invoked driver to use. Other memory problems might accompany this error.
User Action:

Read the page here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....2kmsgs/1168.asp

#7 Blue2kMustangGT

Blue2kMustangGT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 02:01 PM

I give up!! The dump files were useless! I tried the recovery option during Win2k install, no luck (does that ever work?)

I'm thinking of setting up multiple partitions on the disk, c: for Win2k, d: for data. That way, the next time I have to redo this system I can just nuke c: and install Win2k again without worrying about data!

Does this make sense? Any other ideas for fast recovery?

Thanks!
Bill

#8 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 02:22 PM

Buy a USB key and back-up your data to it.
That way if your drive fails(both partitions will be dead), at least you will have your data backed up.
I also have a portable USB hard drive that I use to back up my entire computer.

It just depends on your needs. If you want something that is easy to move around, and want to back-up around 2 Gigs of data, go for the USB Key. If you have tons of large files- Music/Movies etc., buy a portable hard disk.

Hope that helps.
JC

#9 Blue2kMustangGT

Blue2kMustangGT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 06:08 PM

I should have noted that this PC is my daughter's...I've been re-installing Win2k about 2-3 times a year! These kids download so much crap that there's only so much protection you get with anti-spyware. I'm looking for faster recovery time (re-installing Win2k) without having to worry about data loss....mostly music files and digital camera files, let alone school work.

I figure I could put Win2k in a small partition, and redirect all her data to another partition. When the system crashes, I can just format the Win2k partition and restore a known-working image! The data partition is untouched.

Thanks for your suggestions...
Bill

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 06:17 PM

Go buy a used 6 gb hard drive ($15) and install W2k on to it. When she messes up the computer, pop in the 6 gb and disk image it to the freshly formatted main drive. You can install all the program (with in the limits of 6 gb). You will only have to install updates from when you created the drive. While you have it in the computer update everything.
Just a thought.

#11 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 08:25 PM

I got the feeling in the last post that I replied to that you wanted to start over again.
If not, I have a link that you can use that will help you with startup problems.

How To Troubleshoot Startup Problems in Windows 2000

If you have exhausted the Troubleshooting steps you can either try a Repair Install.

Windows 2000 Professional Repair install

Or, do a complete install....

Windows 2000 Professional install on an old hard drive (HDD)

Whatever you decide to do, if you get the computer working again, or decided on a reinstall, make sure you follow the steps in the tutorial below:

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

I think we gave you some options to think about for redundancy.

Take care,
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users