Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron 1100 will not power on

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Turaiel

Turaiel

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:29 PM

I recovered a Dell Inspiron 1100 from the trash, and upon plugging it in, found it wouldn't turn on. The charger and battery are confirmed working, but the thing still refuses to even light up. Any ideas on what's wrong with it? The external appears to be in perfect and almost unused shape. It did look like it had something spilled on it when I opened it though.

I really don't want to shell out much money for a laptop from the trash, but it would be awesome if it would work. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Upon putting the hard drive in an identical laptop, the system log shows a crash just before the system died:
Error code 1000008e, parameter 1 c0000005, parameter 2 805980ee, parameter 3 effb6a74, parameter 4 00000000.

EDIT 2: When I tried using the keyboard from this laptop in another, it was not functional, and it was also rather sticky on the back, indicating that there was indeed a spill. Is there any way at least that I can get the keyboard working? <shiny-moment>It doesn't have missing keys like mine does, and it makes my laptop look newer. :P</shiny-moment>

Edited by Riker, 26 November 2010 - 07:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:29 PM

EDIT: Upon putting the hard drive in an identical laptop, the system log shows a crash just before the system died:

Error code 1000008e, parameter 1 c0000005, parameter 2 805980ee, parameter 3 effb6a74, parameter 4 00000000.

When you take a hdd with a Windows OS installed on it that you have been using on one computer and then install it as a master in another computer you are asking for major problems. The excerpt below is from a Intel article which describes in detail what happens. The article also mentions a reference to an article by Microsoft, it can be seen here .

"Moving a hard drive with Windows* 2000 or Windows XP* already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer you may not be able to start Windows. This is documented in Microsoft's knowledge base article. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you move your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error."

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Turaiel

Turaiel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:31 PM

I didn't actually experience any errors moving it between computers because the computer I ran it on was almost identical to the broken one. The error I'm describing apparently happened in 2006, and windows hasn't been booted since then.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:01 PM

The heads up still applies.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Turaiel

Turaiel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:03 PM

Indeed it does, and thanks for that. Do you happen to know how I can solve the issues I'm having though?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:02 PM

About the best I can suggest would be to try an external keyboard, reinstall the hdd and hope that you haven't damaged the operating system by trying to use it in the other computer.

Best of luck.

#7 Turaiel

Turaiel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:04 PM

I don't think you understand my problem. The computer will not power up at all. My other keyboard works, but the "transplated" one does not. The hardware between the two computers is the same.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:12 PM

I'm out of suggestions. I guess hoping for a treasure while dumpster diving still hold a lot of luck. :whistle:

#9 Turaiel

Turaiel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:15 PM

Oh dear God no, I wasn't dumpster diving :P
My cousin works at a disposal facility and finds a lot of "treasures"

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:36 PM

That's good to hear, I was beginning to think we would have to change you user name to something more appropriate for the suspected search habits. :hysterical:

Edited by dc3, 26 November 2010 - 10:36 PM.

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:43 PM

You can generally clean the keyboard with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) you will need enough to soak the keyboard in let it soak and work the grime off the keyboard then remove and allow to dry. As for the actual laptop you would need to physically inspect the internal components for damage from the "spill" depending on what the substance was one or more of the components may be fried.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#12 Turaiel

Turaiel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:58 PM

I have no idea what the substance was, but the spill seems to be localized more toward the port-side of the motherboard in a small section, though it looks like some may have gotten on the GPU as well. Most of the components that received the spill are small squarish things, and the name has escaped me. As for what the substance may be, it's rather sticky, brownish in some places and dry/white in others.

I don't want to know what the white substance is.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:27 AM

I'm guessing that what you are describing as small squarish things are integrated circuits (I.C.s) on the motherboard. If the liquid reached the motherboard it probably shorted out board components. This could be an expensive repair job.

#14 Turaiel

Turaiel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:31 AM

So I guess the best thing I really can do at this point is keep everything but the motherboard and sell it for parts. :/

As for the keyboard, I'll see if I can soak it tomorrow and find out how that goes. 70% alcohol should be fine, I assume. How long should I soak and dry?

Edited by Riker, 27 November 2010 - 12:41 AM.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:38 AM

That would probably be the best way to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users