Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD , Lost Restore Points

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bodran

Bodran

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:09 PM

Hi,
I recently ran into some sort of problem which I am unable to resolve.
Syptoms are:
Freezing or lockups in games and while surfing the net.
BSOD
Problem:
Lost all my restore points.

I have had good luck with system restore in the past but since my restores are gone it is not usefull this time.
I have run a full scan using Avira and nothing was found. I have run Spybot and just a few adware and tracking cookies were found and deleted.
The Microsoft malacious software removal tool found nothing. I checked my disks using Seatools, SMART was OK and long DST passed on both drives.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:13 PM

Please complete the following two steps:

:step1: Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and save it to your Desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2

• Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note 1: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless of whether you are prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Note 2: MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes. To disable these programs, please view this topic: How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

:step2: Please download BlueScreenView (in zip file)
Extract the contents of bluescreenview.zip and then double-click on the BlueScreenView.exe file, and click on Run, to run the program. (No installation is required.)
When scanning is done (please be patient), go ...
  • Edit > Select All
  • File > Save Selected Items, and save the report to your Desktop as BSOD.txt.
Close the BlueScreenView window.
Open BSOD.txt using Notepad and go ...
  • Edit > Select All
  • Edit > Copy, and then paste the entire contents of the text file into your next reply.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 Bodran

Bodran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:13 PM

Thanks for helping me AustrAlien,
I ran MBAM three times it did find stuff other software missed below are the logs.

Also ran BlueScreenView, after I double clicked it seemed to run automatically ie I did not have to hit "run". Is that OK?
Anyway it only found one entry and it was quite old. I know I have had many more BSODs In fact I had a BSOD yesterday here is what I wrote down from that incident,
STOP:0 x 00000086 (0 x C0000005, 0 x B862452E, 0 x B19E5964, 0 x 00000000)
kernald.wnt - address B862452E base at B8624000, date stamp 42e505e2

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 5194

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

11/26/2010 12:12:37 PM
mbam-log-2010-11-26 (12-12-37).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 173915
Time elapsed: 8 minute(s), 5 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{500bca15-57a7-4eaf-8143-8c619470b13d} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command\(default) (Broken.OpenCommand) -> Bad: ("regedit.exe" "%1") Good: (regedit.exe "%1") -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

www.malwarebytes.org

11/26/2010 6:37:23 PM
mbam-log-2010-11-26 (18-37-23).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|F:\|G:\|)
Objects scanned: 751121
Time elapsed: 5 hour(s), 11 minute(s), 26 second(s)

Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
G:\Program Files\Call_Of_Duty_4-Razor1911-PART1\Call_Of_Duty_4-Razor1911-PART1\rzr-cod4.exe (Trojan.Agent.CK) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

www.malwarebytes.org

11/26/2010 7:43:23 PM
mbam-log-2010-11-26 (19-43-23).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 174318
Time elapsed: 6 minute(s), 43 second(s)

Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

==================================================
Dump File : Mini101710-01.dmp
Crash Time : 10/17/2010 9:06:49 AM
Bug Check String : DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code : 0x000000d1
Parameter 1 : 0x00000020
Parameter 2 : 0x00000002
Parameter 3 : 0x00000000
Parameter 4 : 0xb3e41520
Caused By Driver : afd.sys
Caused By Address : afd.sys+520
File Description : Ancillary Function Driver for WinSock
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 5.1.2600.5657 (xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236)
Processor : 32-bit
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini101710-01.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 2600
==================================================

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:53 AM

I had a BSOD yesterday here is what I wrote down from that incident,

"STOP:0 x 00000086" is an unusual one, and not helpful.

A Google search for kernald.wnt doesn't bring up any useful results. However, if you Google for "kerneld.wnt", that brings up a lot of results. I am guessing that you made a slight spelling mistake? kerneld.wnt belongs to the program Everest.

Do you have Lavalys (Everest) installed on your system and were you using/running it at the time of yesterday's crash? What version is it?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 Bodran

Bodran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:17 AM

I had a BSOD yesterday here is what I wrote down from that incident,

"STOP:0 x 00000086" is an unusual one, and not helpful.

A Google search for kernald.wnt doesn't bring up any useful results. However, if you Google for "kerneld.wnt", that brings up a lot of results. I am guessing that you made a slight spelling mistake? kerneld.wnt belongs to the program Everest.

Do you have Lavalys (Everest) installed on your system and were you using/running it at the time of yesterday's crash? What version is it?

Yes I had an older version but was upgrading to Everest 5.50.2100 free version. The download was corrupt and that might have been when the puter crashed. After that I downloaded it from CNet and was able to install it fine. I am trying everything to find this problem.
So far no crashes today but mostly I have been surfing the web and running the fixes you suggested.
What do you think about the things MBAM found?
Also should I install DumpChk?
Regards,
Alan

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:28 AM

Also should I install DumpChk?

Please post a link to the item you are referring to.

Please check the following settings: "Automatic restart" can be disabled from within Windows:
Right-click on "My Computer" > select "Properties" > "Advanced" tab. Under "Startup and Recovery", click "Settings" and disable (un-tick) "Automatically restart". Click "OK", and if you get a "System Control Panel Applet" warning "If the pagefile on volume .... Continue anyway?", click "Yes", and again "OK" to close the last window.

Disable the Automatic Restart on System Failure in Windows XP
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/ht/disautorestart.htm

Let's run some more scans to see what turns up.

:step1: Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop. alternate download link
  • Close all open browsers before using, especially FireFox. <-Important!!!
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Notes: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty Temp, ATF-Cleaner must be Run As Administrator.
The Prefetch cleaning feature has been disabled for Vista Users. Tabs for applications that are not installed are grayed out.

:step2: Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If it will not start, go to Start > All Prgrams > SUPERAntiSpyware and click on Alternate Start.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.
If you have a problem downloading, installing or getting SAS to run, try downloading and using the SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner instead. Save the randomly named file (i.e. SAS_1710895.COM) to a usb drive or CD and transfer to the infected computer. Then double-click on it to launch and scan. The file is randomly named to help keep malware from blocking the scanner.

:step3: I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Push the Start button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Push Posted Image

Note 1: A log.txt file will also be created and automatically saved in the C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\ folder.
If you did not save the ESETScan log, click Posted Image > Run..., then type or copy and paste everything in the code box below into the Open dialogue box:

C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • Click Ok and the scan results will open in Notepad.
  • Copy and paste the contents of log.txt in your next reply.

NOTE 2: Some online scanners will detect existing anti-virus software and refuse to cooperate. You may have to disable the real-time protection components of your existing anti-virus and try running the scan again. If you do this, remember to turn them back on after you are finished.

NOTE 3: In some instances if no malware is found, there will be no log produced.

Please post the logs from SUPERAntispyware and Eset On-line scans.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 Bodran

Bodran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:42 PM

Hi AustrAlien.

Looks like some progress is being made.

FYI "DumpChk" is under the advanced options tab of BlueScreenView.

I did run ATF-Cleaner. I sometimes use Clean Disk Security are you aware of that one and if so do you consider it safe?

Disabled auto restart.

I regularly run Superantispyware, but I ran it in safe mode as you suggested. It found 31 tracking cookies but did not nenerate a log item.

Here are the ESET reults:
C:\Documents and Settings\Alan\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\58\6acfc7ba-7c2a50db multiple threats deleted - quarantined
C:\Documents and Settings\Alan\My Documents\Downloads\Fruity Loops Stu 8.0 RC3 XXL Producer Edition (Key Incl.) NO VIRUS\FLSTUD~1.EXE probably a variant of Win32/Delf.LQXDKYX trojan deleted - quarantined
C:\Program Files\Image-Line\FL Studio 8\Plugins\Fruity\Generators\Toxic Biohazard\Toxic Biohazard.dll probably a variant of Win32/Delf.LQXDKYX trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\Program Files\ZoneAlarmSB\bar\1.bin\NPZONESB.DLL Win32/Toolbar.MyWebSearch application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\Program Files\ZoneAlarmSB\bar\1.bin\Z4PLUGIN.DLL a variant of Win32/Toolbar.MyWebSearch application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{B8DAE948-E2A0-41A5-A44F-ACC27F325E05}\RP1038\A0370833.dll probably a variant of Win32/Delf.LQXDKYX trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{B8DAE948-E2A0-41A5-A44F-ACC27F325E05}\RP1038\A0370834.DLL Win32/Toolbar.MyWebSearch application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{B8DAE948-E2A0-41A5-A44F-ACC27F325E05}\RP1038\A0370835.DLL a variant of Win32/Toolbar.MyWebSearch application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
G:\Old D Drive\Driver Cleaner Pro\LiveUpdate.exe probably a variant of Win32/Agent.UBROGL trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined
G:\Old D Drive\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Toolbar\RealBar.dll probably a variant of Win32/Adware.Toolbar.Visicom.AB application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
G:\Program Files\Uniblue\RegistryBooster\registrybooster.exe Win32/RegistryBooster application cleaned by deleting - quarantined

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:56 PM

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{B8DAE948-E2A0-41A5-A44F-ACC27F325E05}\RP1038\A0370833.dll probably a variant of Win32/Delf.LQXDKYX trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{B8DAE948-E2A0-41A5-A44F-ACC27F325E05}\RP1038\A0370834.DLL Win32/Toolbar.MyWebSearch application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{B8DAE948-E2A0-41A5-A44F-ACC27F325E05}\RP1038\A0370835.DLL a variant of Win32/Toolbar.MyWebSearch application cleaned by deleting - quarantined

ESET reported some items in your "System Volume Information" folder, indicating that you do indeed have at least one restore point (RP1038). I would guess that it is a recent one, as you stated in your first post
"Problem:
Lost all my restore points."

We will create a new restore point and remove that old one (all old ones) later.

RE: Clean Disk Security
I had not come across this before, but upon reading about it, think that it looks OK.

RE: "DumpChk" ... no, there are no minidumps of interest at your C:\WINDOWS\MiniDump to look at

Please go to Start > Control Panel > Add-Remove Programs
and list all the entries pertaining to Java in your next post.

Please let us know how your system is running now. Do you still have any issues? Are there any signs of malware on the system? Please check for "google redirect" issues, by doing some google searches and then clicking on the links returned. Do these links always take you where you expect to go? Are you still experiencing
"Syptoms are:
Freezing or lockups in games and while surfing the net."

Edited by AustrAlien, 28 November 2010 - 10:05 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 Bodran

Bodran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:07 PM

Java™ 6 Update 22 is the only entry in add/remove programs for Java.

After we started on the 26th the daily system restores began saving again.
Definitely still signs of problems. I was reading youe last post and Avira popped up with "TR/Trash.Gen Trojan” after it scanned I returned to the post and the text was fragmented and partially missing. I closed the post to restart and only the start button was there no desktop icons. When I hit it to restart it started then an older looking windows api popped up and wanted me to logon to windows. After the restart I happened to check in the recycle bin and there were 16 .bak items all related to email like inbox.bak etc. Email seems to be OK though. The text fragmenting and start button thing have been symptoms since this recent problem stated.
Here is what Avira has found recently seems there was a lot of activity on the 10th Nov.

Type: File
Source: G:\System Volume Information\_restore{B8DAE948-E2A0-41A5-A44F-ACC27F325E05}\RP1037\A0370316.exe
Quarantine object: 4f6cb608.qua
Restored: NO
Uploaded to Avira: NO
Operating System: Windows 2000/XP/VISTA Workstation
Search engine: 8.02.04.112
Virus definition file: 7.10.14.82
Detection: Is the TR/Trash.Gen Trojan
Date/Time: 11/28/2010, 21:00

Source: D:\Program Files\TaxCut05\Program\matrixapi.dll
Quarantine object: 4e72b963.qua
Restored: YES
Search engine: 8.02.04.112
Virus definition file: 7.10.14.75
Detection: This file has been compressed using unusual runtime compression (PCK/Armadillo). Please verify the origin of this file.
Date/Time: 11/23/2010, 13:36

Source: C:\Documents and Settings\Alan\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\CQAE4O1O\shop[1].htm
Quarantine object: 4fbabc20.qua
Search engine: 8.02.04.92
Virus definition file: 7.10.13.164
Detection: Suspicious file
Date/Time: 11/10/2010, 20:14

Source: C:\Documents and Settings\Alan\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\AWJY3J61\shop[1].htm
Quarantine object: 4fbabc10.qua

Source: C:\Documents and Settings\Alan\My Documents\Downloads\unconfirmed 74099.download
Quarantine object: 56aa5f94.qua
Detection: Is the TR/FraudPack.cfbi Trojan

Source: C:\Documents and Settings\Alan\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\40\7bc58ce8-4ab0360a
Quarantine object: 68fd39c7.qua
Detection: Contains recognition pattern of the JAVA/Agent.GP Java virus

Source: C:\Documents and Settings\Alan\My Documents\Downloads\unconfirmed 32288.download
Quarantine object: 585d55e1.qua
Detection: Is the TR/Renos.DE Trojan

Source: C:\Documents and Settings\Alan\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\AWJY3J61\shop[1].htm
Quarantine object: 572d996f.qua

Source: C:\Documents and Settings\Alan\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\3SKLYWGP\shop[1].htm
Quarantine object: 4fba82f4.qua

Source: C:\Documents and Settings\Alan\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\40\29d45da8-67be95c5
Quarantine object: 45a4167d.qua
Detection: Contains recognition pattern of the JAVA/Agent.GP Java virus

Source: C:\Documents and Settings\Alan\My Documents\Downloads\unconfirmed 3972.download
Quarantine object: 27466780.qua

Source: C:\Documents and Settings\Alan\My Documents\Downloads\unconfirmed 15003.download
Quarantine object: 14e579ab.qua

Source: C:\Documents and Settings\Alan\My Documents\Downloads\unconfirmed 71363.download
Quarantine object: 04f5057c.qua

Source: C:\Documents and Settings\Alan\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\S46YEMA6\zoosexvideo[1].exe
Quarantine object: 4f674149.qua
Detection: Is the TR/FraudPack.cgeu Trojan

Source: C:\Documents and Settings\Alan\My Documents\Downloads\unconfirmed 82078.download
Quarantine object: 4e3d7033.qua

Source: C:\Documents and Settings\Alan\My Documents\Downloads\unconfirmed 57793.download
Quarantine object: 62c24abe.qua

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:19 AM

Java™ 6 Update 22 is the only entry in add/remove programs for Java.
Good.

in the recycle bin and there were 16 .bak items all related to email like inbox.bak etc.
I am assuming that you use Outlook Express, which compacts messages on a regular basis (usually every 100 times OE is started): This produces such .bak files in the Recycle Bin .... so I suspect that is not something to be concerned about. Is that a possibility?

-------------------

:step1: Empty your temp folders using TFC (Temporary File Cleaner) in Safe Mode
  • Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
    alternate download link
  • Re-start your computer and load Windows in Safe Mode:
    • Start tapping the F8 key as the system starts to boot again, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.
    • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Safe Mode", and press the <ENTER> key.

Getting into Windows Safe Mode
      http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm
  • Run TFC:
    • Save any unsaved work. (TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!)
    • Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. (If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose "Run As Administrator".)
    • Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
    • Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway allowing Windows to load normally (not into Safe Mode) to ensure a complete clean.

:step2: Remove old restore points
  • First create a new restore point:
    • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click System Restore.
    • Choose to Create a Restore Point on the first screen then click Next.
    • Give the restore point a name then click "Create". Enter a descriptive name: The new restore point name will include the current date and time.
  • Now remove all old restore points, with the exception of the most recent one:
    • Go to Start > Run then type cleanmgr in the box and click OK.
    • You get a window to select the drive to clean, the default is already set to C: drive. Click OK.
    • Click the More Options tab.
    • In the System Restore section, click Clean Up to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.
    • Click OK and Yes.

Edit to add the following:

:step3: Clear the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) cache:
  • Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
  • Double-click the Java icon.
    The "Java Control Panel" appears.
  • Under "Temporary Internet Files", click "Settings".
    The "Temporary Files Settings" dialog box appears.
  • Click "Delete Files".
    The "Delete Temporary Files Settings" dialog box appears.
    There are two options on this window to clear the cache.
    • Applications and Applets
    • Trace and Log Files
  • Leave both options checked and click "OK" on "Delete Temporary Files" window.
    Note: This deletes all the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the cache.
  • Click "OK" on "Temporary Files Settings" window.
  • Click "OK" to close the Java Control Panel.
You can also view these instructions along with screenshots here.

Edited by AustrAlien, 29 November 2010 - 01:06 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 Bodran

Bodran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:17 PM

I have followed all three steps.
I now use Windows Live Mail but yes I did previously use Outlook Express, it is still installed and I did get that compress option popup during a recent freezing episode so that is probably all there is to that.
So what’s next anything?
Regards,
Alan

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:54 AM

Can I assume that this is a legitimate file, and a false positive on Avira's part?

D:\Program Files\TaxCut05\Program\matrixapi.dll

I note that you have restored it. Have you excluded it in Avira, from being detected as malicious, and being removed again?
-------------------

Is Avira continuing to detect any malicious items?
If you haven't already, would you please run a full scan with Avira, and let me know what it is finding.

Please detail any further issues that you continue to have, and let us know how the computer is running.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:12 AM

Also check this:

Are there any signs of malware on the system? Please check for "google redirect" issues, by doing some google searches and then clicking on the links returned. Do these links always take you where you expect to go?

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#14 Bodran

Bodran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:31 PM

Can I assume that this is a legitimate file, and a false positive on Avira's part?

D:\Program Files\TaxCut05\Program\matrixapi.dll

I note that you have restored it. Have you excluded it in Avira, from being detected as malicious, and being removed again?
-------------------

Is Avira continuing to detect any malicious items?
If you haven't already, would you please run a full scan with Avira, and let me know what it is finding.

Please detail any further issues that you continue to have, and let us know how the computer is running.

I think the file is legitimate but Avira will not ignore it even when commanded. However when I get the information backed up I will delete the offending program.
Otherwise Avira is not reporting other malicious items.
Google is not redirecting.
Something is consuming 50 - 100% of my CPU upon boot up. It takes about 20 minutes before icons etc are loaded and it is real slow for ages after that.
Shut down was taking forever but improved when I uninstalled Zonealarm.

Edited by Bodran, 04 December 2010 - 01:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users