Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer wont boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 one2855

one2855

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:34 AM

i have a emachine with xp on it, It has a 160 hard drive hopefully i didnt screw this up. .
some of the messages that i had was about the bootloger there was a couple of others , i cant get in safe mode, about the only thing i ve done is try to repair windows it takees me to a file c/minint in there i had tried to run fixboot and fixmbr i do have another hard drive with windows where i tried to accress the other hard drive and acess the info that way but icant access anything , the had drive show there is only 10 gigs of info on it , not 160 at one time the drive came up as disk 0 with partition 1 and 2 , what i would like to do is to be able get my info off the hard drive ar acess to it
Thank you for the help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ronald110

ronald110

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:00 AM

Hi have you tried with the recovery console. Run it with xp CD(if required follow the tutorial given by John in this forum).In recovery console, CMD works, try to copy the files and folders to other drives(like D,E).

#3 one2855

one2855
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:41 AM

so i went and tried to run the recovery console from the cd the only difference was the windows installation too use mine came up with it being

C:\MiniNT
Also cmd didnt work for me,

Can i reinstall windows without delating my info or any other ideas on what to do to get machine up and running ?
thank you

To start the Recovery Console directly from the Windows XP CD you would do the following:

1.Insert the Windows XP cd in your computer.

2.Restart your computer so you are booting off of the CD.

3.When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R button on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.

4.The Recovery Console will start and ask you which Windows installation you would like to log on to. If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would enter the number associated with the installation you would like to work on and press enter. If you have just one Windows installation, type 1 and press enter.

5.It will then prompt you for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, simply press enter. Otherwise type in the password and then press enter. If you do not know your password then see this.

6.If you entered the correct password you will now be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt and you can start using the Recovery Console.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:18 AM

You cannot use...recovery/restore disks...to access the XP Recovery Console.

Louis

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:03 PM

At this point, what happens when you turn your computer on normally? At what point does it get stuck? Do you still see the XP splash screen? Does the advanced boot menu come up when you tap F8?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#6 one2855

one2855
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:27 AM

i believe what happen is a virus took out what i gather is the bootlooger , the mbr record , , i'm having a problem trying to reinstall windows because its saying its not a ntfs formated hard drive , so i need to change if i can then reinstall the setup files so the drive can boot up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users