Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

chkdsk

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guy Gadbois

Guy Gadbois

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:04 AM

I tried running chkdsk in Safe Mode to repair $Mft, but now I get a message that Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM. I actually have a 64 bit machine (had that is).

Upon booting up, I hit [F8] then selected the option to run in Safe Mode with Command Line. Then typed: "chkdsk C:/r" within DOS. Then I answered "Y" for Yes to run chkdsk on startup, rebooted and now I'm stuck in a loop and cannot do anything else.

Prior to that I did have the option to reset to default condition, but I didn't want to wipeout anything. Now I'm dead in the water so to speak.

Just prior to that I created an Administrator Password (for the first time). I had also attempted to purge Rogue Malware (Smart Engine) with SAS the previous day, but was only able to detect 4 Adware cookies, which were removed. My wife did tell me that she had earlier deleted a file containing the word "sonic", possibly an .exe file, as I had told her of my suspicion that we may also have a worm. We did not have the anti-virus software box checked since day 1, as we thought we were getting regular updates for Microsoft, and I had the free version of SAS loaded at start-up, however, I just found out that Microsoft had quit sending such updates to Windows XP service pack 2 customers since July of this year (2010). Also the previous day, within safe mode I was getting redirected to the German version of Google, and it had set my country of origin as Germany, which is not where I had set it.

So now all I can do is hit [F2] & [F12], which gets me nowhere. Am I now forced to buy a new PC or is this recoverable? I sure don't know how.

Edited by hamluis, 26 November 2010 - 10:33 AM.
Moved from XP to AII, on Unbootable List ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:28 AM

Hi Guy Gadbios, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

What is the make and model of this computer?

Do you have the installation disk for this operating system. Not to be confused with a restore disk.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:32 AM

Hi :).

You seem to have possibly several individual problems...but, collectively, it may be an infection or the lingering effects of malware which you may think was removed.

I will move this from XP to Am I Infected...because I believe the malware possibility should be dealt with first. If problems remain after a closer look, we can then attempt to deal with those.

Louis

#4 Guy Gadbois

Guy Gadbois
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:23 PM

This pc is a Dell System 8400, Processor Info: Intel Pentium 4, CPU 3.00 GHz, Buss Speed 800 MHz, L2 Cache = 2 MB, EM64T, Memory Info: DDR2 SDRAM Channel Mode: Interleved. Please note that I was unable to find an Installation Disk, we think that it may have been installed by the OEM. I had been getting the message about the $Mft file being in need of repair for a few weeks, but was still able to run the computer without any noticable difference until we started getting redirected to unfamiliar web pages and getting the Malware pop ups in the past week or so. The black screen, which it now defaults to on start up has this additional message: "You can attempt to repair this be starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD ROM. Select r @ the first screen for repair"

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,575 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:00 PM

Hello, and sorry for the delay.

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

• Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

• If your PC is not booting from the CD, you need to change the boot order:
    • Restart your PC
    • As soon as you get an image, press the Setup key. This is usually F2, or Del. On some machines the key can also be a different one. It should, however, be stated on the screen which key is the setup key.
    • Once you enter the computer's BIOS, use the arrow keys and tab key to move between elements. Press enter to select an item to change.
    • Navigate to the tab, where you can set the boot order. It should be called Boot or Boot order
    • The tab should now show your current boot order.
      If the CD-drive is not at the top, please navigate to the CD-Rom drive with the keys arrows. Then move it to the top of the list. The keys for switching boot position are usually + to move up and - to move down. However they can be different, but they should be stated in the help, so that you can find them easily.
    • Once the CD-drive is on top of the boot order, navigate to Exit and select Exit saving changes.
  • Your PC should now boot from your XP-CD.
    Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

• When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
  • When prompted to choose a windows installation, type 1 and press enter.
  • When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

• A command prompt will open

Type fixmbr and press enter.

Type exit and press enter to reboot. Let me know how things are now.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users