Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desperate. Networking problem in XP. Been a week.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SerialThriller

SerialThriller

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 15 October 2004 - 09:58 PM

Ok. I am in quite a bad way trying to network two PCs together. Been a whole week and they still cant be fixed, i have also talked to countless people online, and....nothing

Like i said i am desperate.

I have 2 comps, both connected to a router and the router connected to a cable modem.

comp1 can access comp2 fine on my network, but comp2 cannot access comp1 at all but yet can see it and knows it's there.

does anyone have any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 16 October 2004 - 01:45 PM

Hi SerialThriller, Welcome to BC.

I'm guessing the Pros here are going to need some more info from you to be able to help you diagnose the problem.

Lets start with some more info on you systems:

What are the stats on your two 'puters?
Makes, models, CPU's, OS's, ancillary programs e.g. AV's, firewalls, type of router, wired or wireless connect etc.

The more you can tell us about it what you see on the comp2 not recognizing comp1 will also help. Any error messages?

The more you can tell us ....

regards
~Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 SerialThriller

SerialThriller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 16 October 2004 - 01:51 PM

heh well....bleep

seems i fixed the problem by doing probably the last thing i wanted to do....format the drive on pc1.

best idea i can come up with is that there was something wrong with the TCP/IP, like it was corrupt er sumthing.

Anyways there is still something a lil screwy i wanted to ask about, on both comps under network connections i have a 1394 (firewire) connection enabled and shared. There are no 1394 wires going between any computers or routers (or any hardware for that matter).

could anyone give me some input on this? would it be ok to disable or get rid of the 1394 connection in my network connection tab?

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 17 October 2004 - 01:38 AM

BUMP!!

Come on guys and gals!

This is not an HJT log Problem yet!

Surely one of you all can help this individual out!
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 17 October 2004 - 07:12 AM

I dont know if this helps, but I have seen that kind of connection on another computer. When I was helping out Woody with his first build, it should 1394 connections in the Network places also. For grins, I even clicked the box that said 'show in notification area when it is on', and it showed up down there even though there was no data being transferred. In his case, he had 2 of them. We did not disable them, or try to repair. They did not seem to do any harm.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2004 - 10:04 AM

Sorry but I did not see this post till now. What ip addresses are you using on the machines? Ones that are like 192.168.1.X? Are they assigned automatically by the router?

Do you have firewalls enabled on either of the computers? If the computers are running XP Service Pack 2, the firewall will be enabled by default. This may be stopping you from reaching each other

#7 TedOb1

TedOb1

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2004 - 01:27 PM

if one is using fat32 and the other NTFS the fat32 system cannot access files on NTFS. if this is the case you need to convert to NTFS using the "convert" comand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users