Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Modest Proposal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dekem

Dekem

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:44 PM

Greetings. This is my first time building a pc completely, and I'd like some advice on the parts. I've already ordered a motherboard and two IDE hard drives, and my planned list is here: (Prices from Newegg)

ASPIRE X-Plorer ATXB8KLW-BL Black/Blue Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail $55.00
CHAINTECH SA6600G Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail $145.00
Hauppauge WINTV-GO-PLUS PCI Interface WinTV-Go-Plus - Retail $48.99
FSP Group (Fortron Source) ATX400-PA ATX12V 400W Power Supply - OEM $36.99
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3200BPBOX - Retail $152.00
gigaram 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model GR1DD8T-K1GB/400/2.5 - Retail $75.00
Acer AL1912s Silver/Black 19" 12ms LCD Monitor - Retail $239.95
BenQ Black E-IDE/ATAPI DVD-ROM Drive Model 1650V - Retail $16.99
LITE-ON Beige IDE DVD Burner Model SOHW-1693S Beige OEM - OEM $38.99

And the HDs/Mobo I already have on the way:
(x2) Western Digital Caviar WD2000BB 200GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM $172.00
GIGABYTE GA-K8NSC-939 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce3 250Gb ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $63.00

My limited ability to understand some terms has made me very unsure about compatability. I understand all RAM I order should be paired to achieve double speeds. Is this true? If anyone spots any other issues, I'd love to hear about them. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:07 PM

There is really no such thing as RAM that is better suited for dual channel than any other RAM, other than the fact that you need two pieces that are perfectly matched. Of course, your mobo must support dual channel RAM in order to take advantage of this feature.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 29 November 2005 - 08:08 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Dekem

Dekem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:20 PM

I checked, and my mobo supports it.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:05 PM

It's a good looking system. What are your specific concerns with it?

FWIW - I have a Hauppage PVR-250 and it's great. I'll never get another ATI TV card again!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 twixster

twixster

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:18 AM

My only recommendation would be a beefier video card, one with 256 megs of ram on it. Also, i would recommend that u check the warrenty on the ram, I always check to make sure that my ram has a lifetime warrenty before i buy it.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:36 AM

Dual video cards or a two head card and a second 19" flat screen. Sweet?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users