Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP 64 bit

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cmartineau

cmartineau

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:36 AM

I have used ComoFix for almost the last year. I learned about ComboFix from my son who has a computer business. I have used in on all my computers computers with issues that I have logged on to remotely using Logmein Rescue.
ComobFix has been a great tool in salvagine almost unusable computers. I just had to have my hard drive replaced which - to my dismay - had Windows XP 64 bit already installed. But to my surprise ComboFix seems to not support 64 bit OS. Is a 64 bit version coming?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:17 AM

With regards to ComboFix, here is a sort of FAQ: ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

In response to the 64bit question. From the link above:

:step4: I used ComboFix on a 64-bit system and cannot get it to work?

System Requirements: Combofix currently only works with Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7 (32-bit).

Why? Due to the architecture in 64-bit windows, drivers need to be digitally signed. Windows 64-bit enforces driver signing so rootkits cannot reside on that system unless someone is going to issue certificates to malware writers. Since drivers need to be specific, 32-bit drivers do not run on a 64-bit operating system. As such, rootkits are not seen as often on 64-bit machines so they are less prone to that type of infection but with technology that may change. Right now, the tool's creator has indicated it is very unlikely that there will be a 64-bit version of ComboFix since that OS is more secure than a 32-bit system.

Note: Although ComboFix will work on Windows 7, it is not officially supported yet so if it is run you will receive a warning message that it is a beta version meant for compatibility testing.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users