Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major Hardware Problem

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 twixster

twixster

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 06:49 PM

Sorry about the long post but please try to help me.

My System

Giga-Byte GA-K8NSNXP
AMD Athlon 64 3400
ATI x800 pro
1 gig of Crucial Balistix ram
500 Watt PowerSupply
2 DVD drives
2 Maxtor 250 gig drives
1 74 gig Western Digital S-Ata

My problem:
For the last week or so i have noticed that when i play Guild Wars my system will stop talking with the video card (this also happens when i do other things). Which i thought was a Video Card problem or a Powersupply problem. Well, when i left for thanksgiving i turned my system off completly (the first time in a while) and when home. When i got back i tried unplugging all but the 74 gig Sata drive and the Video card to see if it would run better with less of a load on the system. So i started it up and it booted and everything just fine. Then i realized that i needed something off one of my other drives so i turned it off and pluged it in and started it up.

When it started up that time it got to the point in boot where it does memory test and stoped after it completed this. So, i turned it off and back on and it got to the same place and did the same thing. So i tried once more and it got past that but got stuck when it initialied one of the raid controller and then it stoped. So i turned it off once more and tried to start it up when i did it this time i got nothing at all. No fan spin up, nothing at all. So in thinking that it was the power supply i tried several known powersupplies none of which worked. So my question is what could be wrong. I tried having just the required items for boot in my system with all the power supplies and got nothing each time i tried.

The other wierd thing about this is that sometimes when you turn it on it won't turn on but it will flash power for about a second and will do this over and over until you turn the computer using the switch on the power supply. I don't know what it going on but i need to get it fixed before next week. I am in college and i have exams next week and all my programming projects are due and guess what, they are all on that system except one.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:09 PM

Check the mobo's power connection and cables, look for any fuzez on the board. Check the capictors make sure their tops are flat not rounded or extruded. Check for a brownish sustance leaking from them also. There is a pwr supply tester for about 30 bucks at any computer store. This will check the harness as well as the supply.

Check the board for cracks and scorched places.

Let us know what you find or don't find

#3 twixster

twixster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:14 PM

i have tried several different power supplies so, i know that it is not the power supply. I checked the motherboard for capacitor problems and i can not see anything wrong. I will check laiter and send reply with an update about brownish stuff on the motherboard. Also, there should not be any cracks in the mother board i have not moved it for 4 months so i dout that it has crack. Yet again, i will check when i get out of class tonight.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:45 PM

You could have a bad stick of RAM. Hopefully you have at least two sticks of RAM. Pull one at a time and see if it solves your problem. It won't cost any thing. If you moved your computer about the time this started you could have a loose stick of RAM. I have had both of these problems before.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 twixster

twixster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 09:18 PM

i don't have any leaking capacitors or anything like that. Everything looks like it should.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 10:50 PM

Check your RAM with one of these free testers:

http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
http://www.memtest.org/
http://www.memtest86.com/
http://www.hcidesign.com/

The last link is to a tester that runs in Windows. Because of questions about it's process, I don't recommend doing it. But, if by chance you do choose to try it, I'd suggest that you let it run until it hits 1,000% of the memory checked (there's more information about this on the website). I'm currently testing the different memory testers on my system and they seem about equal in ability to me (the tests aren't finished yet). Please let me know the results of your testing.

Check to see that your motherboard drivers are updated
Check to see that your video card drivers are updated

Circuit boards do fail - there's stress in the little traces just due to the electricity heating them up and then letting them cool
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 twixster

twixster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:03 AM

First of all, i doubt that both of my ram sticks are bad and second, i can not even turn my computer on. I have tried to start up my system with all configurations of ram installed (both sticks, 1 stick, then the other stick, then no sticks) none of which work. But thank u for the links to all the memory testers and thanks to everyone that i have talked to on here about this problem (especially those in chat)

Anyway, i finally got an answer from Giga-Byte and it appears that they are going to replace the motherboard with a new or replacement model, thank god for warranties. Now i just have to wait for a rma number from them.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:11 AM

I glad you found a solution that won't cost youvery much money. Please let us know how the replacement motherboard works out.

Good luck.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 twixster

twixster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:12 PM

ok, now i have a new problem. When i was taking the system apart, when i got to the cpu and tried to take it out i could not get the heat sink to release so i let my friend who also know a lot about computers and who also works on them all day (fixing them) take it out. Well, the processor came out with the heat sink and it is very firmly attached and i will eventually need a way to get it off (yes, we checked all the pins and every thing looks ok) so that i can re insert the proc in the mobo when i get the replacement. Does anyone have any ideas about how to get the heat sink off the proc? I know that most of the time they tell you to turn your computer on for about a half an hour or so to loosen the thermal compound they use. However, i don't have that luxury since i can not turn my computer on and i already have the proc out.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 02 December 2005 - 01:33 PM

This can harm your processor if done wrong! Be carefull!

Using insulated gloves, boil some water and take it off the heat (so there's no bubbles to spurt onto the CPU). This will make the water temp close to 100 C - so keep the processor away from it!

Dip the cooler fins (but not the body of the cooler) into the water - BUT NOT THE GET THE CPU in the water!!!

Keep gentle twisting pressure on the CPU and cooler. As soon as it starts to move, remove it all from the water and continue to twist it off!

No guarantee's - be careful!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 04:16 AM

2 other methods is a hair dryer and a low wattage soldering iron

Either method you must be carefull and apply heat to the fins of the heat sink only and not to get the cpu intself hot. The object is to get the heat to transfer thru the heat sink to the thermal past and soften it. Not to heat the cpu.

Becareful with any method you use. I tend to hold the cpu by the edges in my fingers to act as a temp gauge, if its getting too hot for me to hold comfotably I am getting too hot.

Edited by dannyboy 950, 03 December 2005 - 04:17 AM.

#12 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 04:43 AM

Hey Twix,

Ah huh and what? Whoa and you did? Damn! What are all of you talking about? If you changed a drive without your motherboard knowing then you are screwed. If it is set as an removable drive then no problem.

If not, then you need to reset the CMOS to accept the new drive but if it does not recognize then you are sucking. I assume this is a two drive system then a simple CMOS clear will suffice. Unless the drive was used as a master.

As with the CPU/heatsink removal, use a straight razor to cut it off. Most of the time it will come loose by prying a small screwdriver between them.

All of this is past the problem. Did you try to reseat the Ram? Did you swap the Ram? Did you clean the connections? Did you try one Ram stick at a time? Did you reseat all the cards? Are the fans clean? Are the power supply voltages correct?

Assume the worst after the simple is completed.

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#13 twixster

twixster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 10:46 AM

Thanks for all your help with getting the Proc off. I think i am going to try the Hair Dryer method and hope for the best.

Also to reply to junkdk, i don't know what changing a drive has to do with any of the problems that i have mentioned on this forum. Also, I have never had any problem with my drives not being recognized by my computer. My os is on a 74 gig 10,000 rpm WD S-ATA Raptor and then i have another version of windows installed on one of my data drives (one of my 2 250 gig drives). If my computer does not detect an operating system on one drive it moves to the next. You just need to give it an order.

Now, for using a razor blade. There is no room for one to fit, nor is there room for a screwdriver small or not. If you look up the Athlon 64's you will notice that the entire top of the proc is covered with a large piece of metal to help with conducting the heat to the heat sink. And as for the problem, please read the above reply's from me. I came to the conclusion (as did giga-bytes tech support) that it is the motherboard and that it need to be replaced. But thanks for your help anyway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users