Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't download ANY files from ANY websites

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JulieBrokenPC

JulieBrokenPC

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:15 PM

I only started having this problem today. Whenever I try to download a file, any file, a dialog box opens and gives me the option of "save file" or "cancel". I select "save file" and that's it. Nothing else happens.
Usually, a second dialog box will open where I get to select the destination for the file but this box doesn't appear. I tried to download files from team viewer, Skype, google earth, and windows messenger, same results every time. First box opens, then nothing. Can someone help me please? I need to get this to work ASAP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:14 AM

Hi :welcome: to BleepingComputer!

What browser are you using and do you use a firewall? Have you tried other files?

Edited by computerxpds, 26 November 2010 - 10:15 AM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 JulieBrokenPC

JulieBrokenPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:50 AM

I'm using Firefox as my browser and I am using Windows Firewall, but I could download fine up till yesterday, I don't think any settings would've changed in my firewall since. I don't really know how it works so I just try not to touch it. As for other files, I tried downloading from several different sites, as well as a few games. The only thing I seem to be able to download is torrents, and only because they download in Utorrent. Any files that uses that little prompt box to save file will not download.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:55 AM

What AV/firewall do you use?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 JulieBrokenPC

JulieBrokenPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:17 PM

I have windows firewall and Microsoft security essentials, running windows 7
I ran a full scan yesterday and found 10 infected items (mmostly adware) and removed it all...

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:21 PM

I suggest, you start new topic in "Am I Infected?" forum. Most likely, not all "baddies" are gone.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 JulieBrokenPC

JulieBrokenPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:30 PM

Thanks, I will try that.
But yesterday, I went messing with settings I had no business messing with and screwed up something.
I went in the folder "My download" and in the properties box, I checked the "hidden" box so everything disappeared on my desktop, all my files, music, pictures...etc.... I had someone come over and fix the problem for me, now all my files are back where they should be. I'm just wondering if that little episode might have messed something up. Could that be why I can't download anything? Maybe I "hid" something that wasn't "un-hidden" and my downloads are just not going through or maybe they're just "hidden"?????

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:48 PM

I still suggest, you start with "Am I Infected?" forum.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 JulieBrokenPC

JulieBrokenPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:52 PM

Will do.... thanks again!

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 01:03 PM

Sure thing :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users