Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reality Check On Xbox 360

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 05:57 PM

In the days following last week's debut of Microsoft's Xbox 360, video game fan sites and the mainstream press seemed to be in a race to outdo each other with reports of problems with the new consoles. By Daniel Terdiman, CNET News.com Published on ZDNet News: November 29, 2005, 12:53 PM PT Quite a few postings, such as those appearing on game sites like Xbox-Scene, relate the experiences of some angry Xbox 360 owners whose new machines have already overheated or crashed. But the good news for consumers is--at least so far--the glitches appear to be isolated. Though it's still too early to quantify those problems or say for certain how widespread they are, most of the die-hard gamers who were able to get an Xbox 360 aren't complaining about their much-coveted new consoles, according to gaming experts and research analysts.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 06:24 PM

I hope this kind of thing doesn't happen to the PS3 upon its release.

I don't really care for xbox but I do feel bad for the people with problems. Although it is kind of humurous to see pictures of xbox 360's after they met a hammer.

#3 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:07 PM

I had heard from friends that their 360 had problems as well... Hopefully they will fix them soon because though I don't game much I do plan on playing Elderscrolls IV and Perfect Dark Zero.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:36 PM

Xbox 360 Glitches Begone

Xbox 360 Users Find Novel Workarounds For Early Glitches

Sometimes the craziest ideas work. :thumbsup:

According to some, the overheating problem is connected to the power supply.

Edited by Scarlett, 29 November 2005 - 07:36 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:32 PM

Yeah, i've seen that some remedies include draping the power source over an open box (such as a shoe box) to let the air circulate around the entire unit, helping to cool it.

Microsoft really rushed the 360 to production in order to squeeze out the system before the others. In doing so, they let some bugs slip through...

#6 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 10:00 PM

Yeah, i've seen that some remedies include draping the power source over an open box (such as a shoe box) to let the air circulate around the entire unit, helping to cool it.

Microsoft really rushed the 360 to production in order to squeeze out the system before the others. In doing so, they let some bugs slip through...

Which is going to lead to their demise! :thumbsup:

See this is why I'm NOT going to purchase Vista until 1 year after it is released because, A. They rushed the production of the first Xbox, B. They rushed the production of the Xbox 360, C. They rushed the production of Windows XP, and guess what?! They are rushing the production of Vista.

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 01:01 PM

And did you hear that there loosing like 125 bucks a system? The parts it takes to build it cost more than there charging! They I guess hope to make the money on the games. You would have to sell a lot of games to make up for that much loss.

#8 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 03:01 PM

Well, every system that comes out sells for a loss. It'd be impossible to sell the consoles with their hardware for an affordable price. The ps3's RSX, Cell processor, and graphix power alone would probably cost upwards of $500 by today's computer-equivelent prices.

#9 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 01 December 2005 - 06:34 AM

I hope this kind of thing doesn't happen to the PS3 upon its release.

Well, considering, similar thing happened to the PSX and PS2, which does create a worrying precedent. Besides, there are bugs in the production process that don't appear until mass production. But we can always hope it will be at a smaller scale than the Xbox 360's failures.

EDIT: Doing some quick calculations; it seem M$ has to sell on average 8 games to every Xbox 360 owner to turn profit, although it is probably a lower considering M$ also get 5-10% of all peripherals sold, the Live subscriptions and whatever microprofits they do on the marketplace. M$ also estimates they will start turning profit after 2006, so that means they expect every Xbox 260 owner to buy on average 6 games plus a bit extra stuff on the side.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 01 December 2005 - 06:51 AM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#10 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2005 - 02:52 PM

Screenshots of Xbox 360 BSOD

Edited by Scarlett, 20 December 2005 - 08:45 AM.

Posted Image

#11 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2005 - 03:38 PM

See now aren't we glad Microsoft only makes software and not computers?

God if they made computers, as soon as it would be out of the box, it would fall apart. :thumbsup:

btw: The prices of them in Japan are like 1/2 of what they are here in America! They can't sale them in Japan! :flowers:
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/xbox-360-japa...ible-142359.php

Edited by yano, 17 December 2005 - 03:39 PM.

#12 Happy_Reaper

Happy_Reaper

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2005 - 08:58 PM

Again, I think Microsoft is trying to bank on the fact that it's conole is more like a "computer" than the Playstation. The same thing happened when they took out the XBox. Back then, people thought that what could potentially make it win the console war was the fact that it was very devellopper-friendly. Sony tends to be more restrictive about what goes on there console and tend to ask develloppers for a larger share of the profits. Microsoft's plan didn't work the first time around, but that's mostly, I think, because they didn't manage to attract the develloppers overseas. We'll have to see if they get better results this time around.
Teacher: "You connect with Internet Explorer, but what is your browser? You know, Yahoo, Webcrawler...?" <-- It's great to see the educational system moving in the right direction...

#13 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2005 - 04:54 PM

Well all consoles are super computers compared to what you buy in the stores. Think about it, its just more processors and flash RAM and what not.

However consoles are designed or were orginally designed to play games. I think conosles have almost gone too far now-a-days and making them a theatre. They can do almost anything. I'm waiting for the day where consoles will make popcorn appear in front of you just for the movies. :thumbsup:

#14 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2005 - 03:22 AM

Microsoft really wants a foothold in the gaming console market. As well as the entertainment market. I really can't blame them, consumers between the ages of 8 to 30 buy more then any other age group. I could narrow the age group to 14 to 24 and still hit high numbers.

So high that Microsoft can not ignore them and I am willing to bet they have already figured in the losing cost on the Xbox 360. Hell, they would give them away for free if it would bump Sony and Nintendo out! Sony has a strong foothold and loyal fans, good luck Microsoft.

My concern is how easy is it to copy the games? I know the Sony games are silly easy to copy and yet they have the market. I would love to play Halo, SOCOM II, and others but I will wait. PS3 is coming...see Sony has me too. :thumbsup:

The horror....

junkdk :flowers:
Your Hardware Guide.

#15 dirtydog

dirtydog

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2005 - 08:29 PM

I have a copy of a playstation game that I can't get to play. Evertime I put it in
it says it is not the right format. What is the problem and the right format?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users