Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Completely New Build

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Patch-C

Patch-C

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:29 PM

Hi,

Was wanting to build a new computer, and was wanting advice.
Looking at a relatively low-ish budget, around 1K total and was wondering if any of my old components could be used at all.

Currently have:
Asusn8x-x Motherboard
AMD Athlon Processor 1.8ghz
2 gb DDR1-400
280 gb ATA HDD
ATI Radeon 9500 Video Card
Cooler mAster RS-430-PCAR power supply
plus bleepty case which came with the motherboard

The major thing i would like to see in a new computer is if i could use the DDR1 at all and if i could use the video card again in any newer motherboards. I believe it is an AGP slot, and something tells me i wount be able to use it.

Any help much appreciated (broad directions etc.)

Regards

Patty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:34 PM

We do need an actual amount of money you are willing to spend before we can give specifics but about $600 USD would get you a decent system. You will not be able to use DDR nor AGP graphics cards on newer systems since they use DDR3 and PCI-E X16. You will be able to use the power supply to power a mid-range graphics card, the optical disc drive, and perhaps the case if it doesn't use proprietary connectors.

It should be noted you are in Australia and thus Newegg and TigerDirect will not be available to you. Do you know of any similar sites that may be able to provide components for your new system?

3939.png

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:40 AM

I'm from Melbourne and i go to MSY. Go to your closest branch which for me is Pascoe Vale. What kind of a computer are you looking for? I will create a list for the parts using MSY.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 Patch-C

Patch-C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:30 AM

Hi, thanks for the responses,

I live nearest to MSY clayton, and yes that does mean Australia, (pity about not being able to use newegg etc.).

Ideally i would like a desktop running two monitors, confortably. Not particularly high end gaming, as I use it more for work and multimedia.

And i would prefer to have a price under *checking budget* AUD$700 (thats about the same amount American at this time isnt it?) but am willing to go up to AUD$900.

And i would normally go study this out myself, but honestly i find the wealth of information avaliable and choice very overwhelming and dont go well at all. So a couple of pointers in the right direction(s), or if you wanna design it all for me :D.

Thanks again!

also before I forget; could you explain what proprietary connectors are, as google has failed me. i dont believe that there any, but im not 100% sure what they are.

Edited by Patch-C, 26 November 2010 - 06:33 AM.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:09 PM

proprietary - Protected by trademark or patent or copyright; made or produced or distributed by one having exclusive rights.

Regarding your case, it could mean the component connectors are specific to that case, which would make it difficult to use aftermarket parts, due to the incompatibility of the case connector, and the connection located on the aftermarket part.
In some instances, an adapter can be found that will allow the use of aftermarket parts.

Another problem could be the motherboard.
If the mounting holes are specific to that manufacturer, then an aftermarket mobo won't work.

As of right now:
$700 AUD = $673.98 US
$900 AUD = $866.55 US
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Patch-C

Patch-C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:48 PM

Looked through msy how does this sound
AM3 X4 Phenom II 945 Quad Core Genuine Retail Boxed CPU 145

Asus (AM3 940) M4A79T-Deluxe DDR3 Motherboard 199
-4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 1066 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
-4 x PCIe 2.0 x16 support ATI CrossFireX™ technology (@ dual x16, triple x16 / x8 / x8, or quad x8 link)
-AMD Socket AM3 ;Phenom™II /Athlon™II /Sempron™ 100 Series Processors
-5 xSATA 3 Gb/s ports Support RAID 0,1,5,10,JBOD
-12 USB 2.0/1.1 ports (6 ports at mid-board, 6 ports at back panel)
-1 x IDE connector
-8-pin ATX 12V Power connector
-24-pin ATX Power connector

3x 2G DDR3 1333 Kingston 3x35 105

Liteon Sata DVD Burner DVD Burner 20

Samsung SATA 1 TB 57

Acer 18.5inch X193HQVTBD 5ms DVI Widescreen Lcd Monitor 104

Thermal Take V3 Case 73
-450W psu...
-works with Radeon
-Works with SATA
-works with burner
-works with floppy
-WORKS WITH mobo (8-PIN ATX CONNECTOR 12 V POWER?)???

ATI Radeon HD 5770 139

didnt add up yet but from memory is around 800 aud. dont know the compatibility of all of it. How goes the motherboard with the psu, that seems to be the biggest concern.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:30 PM

If you have the money, go for the Phenom II X4 955 or greater as those CPU's are unlocked allowing you to overclock if you later want to. It's not a required thing, but nice to have. The ASUS M4A79T Deluxe is an excellent high-end motherboard, however, it uses a last generation chipset which does not include USB 3.0 nor SATA 6. You probably do not yet have devices that use those, but if you later purchase them, you would be able to transfer data more quickly. The most recent chipsets are the AMD 800 series with the AMD 870 being the budget chipset and the 890FX being the high-end flagship one. MSY's disorganized mess of website makes it difficult to see which motherboards they offer, but from the parts list, they should have the GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 in stock which should suit your needs. You also should not purchase a 3x2GB RAM kit. You could buy it and have no problems at all, but it would not be as efficient, dollar wise, than buying one, two, or four sticks of RAM. You should buy either a 1x4GB stick of DDR3-1333, or 2x2GB sticks of DDR3-1333, or 4X2GB sticks of DDR3-1333, or 4x4GB sticks of DDR3-1333. Any of these will work but you do need a 64-bit operating system to use 4GB or more of RAM. Remember, you need to purchase a copy of Windows 7 64-bit. In the U.S., the Home Premium version costs about $100.

When it comes to graphics cards, who actually made the card, Sapphire, MSI, Asus, etc., doesn't really matter that much. The only real things that set manufacturers apart are the warranty and bundle. That said here's a helpful guide when choosing cards. Radeon 5770 and below is considered low-end, Radeon 5830, 6850, and 6870 are considered mid-range, and the Radeon 5850, 5870, and 5970 are high-end. The higher the number, the better the performance. AMD is changing their naming scheme with the new Radeon 6 series, the Radeon 6800 is considered their mid-range cards and the upcoming 6900 is their high-end, whereas with the Radeon 5, the 5800 series was high-end with the 5900 being the very high-end. The larger cards take up more space use more power.

3939.png

#8 Patch-C

Patch-C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:43 AM

ok, from what i gather any kind of graphics cards which allows me to use more than one monitor(im quite fond of my current crt). If a low end will do this I'm happy. I dont anticipate much gaming but considering that i now have an old (dont know the range) graphics card and it manages to play my games well, I doubt a high end or maybe even a mid range is necessary.

The problem with getting any card past the 5770 that i noticed was that the power supply unit was not able to power it. As the one comes with the case is a 450 W and i currently own a 400W, the mid range suggested a PSU which supplys greater than 450W.

Another thing i have noticed with my system at the moment is with the 2.5 gig of ram i have i never find that the PC is using anything more than about 20% at any time (according to task manager), which leads me to believe that i do not need to dramatically ramp up the mem. However, there was something with the Graphics Card which mentioned a requirement of 2gig ram to run it. Seems to infer that it uses it? or something.

I guess what i should have done at the start was say what i use it all for.

Low to mid end gaming
Playing DVD's,
Music.
Much Multitasking, frequently

Essentially what i believe is that this system will be such a step up from what i have, that i will be blown away, and not worry about the lack of sata 6 or usb 3 (although the speed does sound very attractive, as well as the high power).

Also what is your opinion of the monitor, a friend tells me that its too small, and not worth it. True?

(*Geez i should learn to english better.*)

Edited by Patch-C, 27 November 2010 - 06:43 AM.

#9 Patch-C

Patch-C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:48 AM

Also in regards to the graphics, would you reccomend the Ati crossfirex system, from what i gather its about two videocards working together, and the 'mobo' specs stated something about being ready for it. Is it faster or slower to do something like this?

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:32 AM

ok, from what i gather any kind of graphics cards which allows me to use more than one monitor(im quite fond of my current crt). If a low end will do this I'm happy. I dont anticipate much gaming but considering that i now have an old (dont know the range) graphics card and it manages to play my games well, I doubt a high end or maybe even a mid range is necessary.

The problem with getting any card past the 5770 that i noticed was that the power supply unit was not able to power it. As the one comes with the case is a 450 W and i currently own a 400W, the mid range suggested a PSU which supplys greater than 450W.

Another thing i have noticed with my system at the moment is with the 2.5 gig of ram i have i never find that the PC is using anything more than about 20% at any time (according to task manager), which leads me to believe that i do not need to dramatically ramp up the mem. However, there was something with the Graphics Card which mentioned a requirement of 2gig ram to run it. Seems to infer that it uses it? or something.

I guess what i should have done at the start was say what i use it all for.

Low to mid end gaming
Playing DVD's,
Music.
Much Multitasking, frequently

Essentially what i believe is that this system will be such a step up from what i have, that i will be blown away, and not worry about the lack of sata 6 or usb 3 (although the speed does sound very attractive, as well as the high power).

Also what is your opinion of the monitor, a friend tells me that its too small, and not worth it. True?

(*Geez i should learn to english better.*)

You could change the psu for the case and i've bought the case 4 times from msy since it is cheap and good looking!

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:54 PM

Windows will use all RAM available to it, Windows Vista and 7 allocate and manage it differently from XP. The newer versions of Windows will pre-fetch certain items and load them into memory for easy access, therefore, you should get 4GB worth of RAM though, if you're on a tight budget, 2GB would work. I use 8GB of RAM, and currently Windows 7 has about 2GB being used as cache. The cache can be freed should an application need more RAM than what is currently available. If you're wanting to use mid-range or better graphics cards, or even a Crossfire setup, you need more than 430W of power. You can still get that case and swap out the power supply for a higher capacity one. Crossfire, and Nvidia's SLI, uses two or more graphics cards to function as one in certain games or applications. Not all games scale well using it, but most newer titles do. For this reason, it is a preferable to use to higher-end graphics cards, or a single very high-end graphics card. Should a game not scale very well, it will rely mostly on one graphics card. Remember, due to the design of some Mid-ATX cases, the higher-end graphics cards may not fit easily inside your PC. These cards are often 9.5 inches long or larger.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users