Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb2

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jukie

jukie

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 04:57 PM

Hello,
I`m using XP Home for a long time now and never had problems but since a few weeks I cannot use my
USB2 ports for anything.
For instance a Skype telephon can`t be used, a Logitech microphon, the adapter for my TV-card is not working!
I think that I have lost some drivers? If so, how can I get them back working?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 05:01 PM

Let's first see if Windows says the USB ports are working or not.

Start > right click on My Computer > Manage > Device Manager

At or near the bottom of the list of devices you will see the usb controllers. Is there a yellow question mark or any other mark next to them? (such as a red exclamation point)

Click on it and see if all of the usb ports are showing, and by right clicking and choosing PROPERTIES you will be able to see if Windows says they are working properly. Let us know.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 jukie

jukie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 06:06 PM

Hello Albert,
I did as you suggested and I have two yellow USB-devices, I tried to update them but that did not work out.
I get code 28 on the yellow signs.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 06:50 AM

Apparently the drivers are not installed. For Device Manager Code information, click HERE.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 10:42 AM

I just noticed at VersionTracker.com that there are updates available for my USB ports.

Here's a link about error code 28 (not much info tho'): http://www.osronline.com/ddkx/install/troubleshoot_2k13.htm

Try downloading the most current stable version of the driver from the mobo manufacturer's site, then uninstall the device in Device Manager.

Reboot and tell the Add New Hardware Wizard to use the files that you've downloaded (you may have to extract them first). If that doesn't work, you may have to cancel the Wizard and then double click on the file to install them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 jukie

jukie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 04:41 PM

I have tried for several times to reinstall the drivers, without succes!
Maybe the drivers are delete with a program I used a while ago to clean Windows XP.
When I went to the Logitech site to look for new drivers they told me that only Windows could manage that.
But Windows also did not have the appropiate drivers.
I also tried to get them from the Windows XP CD but also no luck! :thumbsup:

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 30 November 2005 - 04:53 PM

Have you tried deleting the device from the Device Manager, restarting your computer and allowing Xp to detect the USB2 bus and install? It worked for me.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 05:17 PM

If the uninstall/reinstall doesn't work, then you're probably looking at a repair install of Windows XP. Here's a link for instructions, just in case: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 jukie

jukie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 05:51 PM

I want to thank you all for trying to help me and I thought myself that the best way is to make a repair install
but I`m not happy with that!
Maybe I can better wait for the new Vista version?

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 05:53 PM

Did you try what I suggested in the #7 reply?

#11 jukie

jukie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 05:59 PM

Yes I tried that but it also didn`t work because Windows could not find the drivers!

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 06:15 PM

Have you checked out you mothreboard's web site for drivers?

#13 jukie

jukie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 04:55 PM

No I didn`t, let me try it and I let you know!
Thanks

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 05:00 PM

You are welcome. Let us know how it works out.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2005 - 01:15 PM

Since it couldn't find the drivers for your USB - they're probably not there. The updates at the mobo manufacturer's web-site will have them, and you can install them and all should be right with the world! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users