Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows live messenger

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 silver threads

silver threads

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 05:40 PM

:unsure: I have recently replaced my laptop with one running Windows 7 and am still finding my way around this new O.S I downloaded Skype last week and now have Windows Live Messenger appearing on the task bar and on the screen every time I turn on the computer. As I do not wish to use this program - never have used it - I would like to disable it at least, or better still, uninstall it. I am unable to find how I can do this and hope someone out there can advise. There were 43 updates installed a few days ago and I am wondering if this is why it is now so visible. The laptop is only a month old and there was no Live Messenger visible until the updates.

Many thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:01 PM

You can uninstall Windows Live Messenger.

From your start menu, click Control Panel.

From Control Panel, choose Programs and Features.

When the Uninstall panel opens, scroll down and look for Windows Live Essentials and click it.

You will then be given a choice to remove or repair, choose Remove.

A list of installed Windows Essentials applications will be presented. Check the box for Messenger, then click Uninstall. If there are any other Live Essential programs you want to uninstall, check those boxes also.

Not long ago, I received an update for Windows Live Essentials 2011, so it is possible that you did also and that's how it ended up on your computer. If this is the case, you may end up getting it reinstalled if you have Microsoft updates set to automatically install.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 November 2010 - 07:08 PM.

#3 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 04:49 PM

Thank you for that advice, I will uninstall that now. I believe it must have been installed with all those updates without realising it. There are probably other "updates" that I would prefer to do without, but I will leave them there for now and will change the automatic updates option.

:busy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users