Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Card For High Speed Dsl

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ironangel

ironangel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 04:47 PM

I am getting High Speed DSL and I need a network card. What would be the best card to get?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 04:51 PM

Pretty much any Ethernet will do! They are commonly available, such as at your local Office Max or other major office suppy store, as well as at Best Buy, Circuit City etc.

A 10/100 LAN Card will cost from $15 - $20 US

A 10/100/1000 LAN Card will cost a few more bucks.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 29 November 2005 - 04:52 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:59 PM

Albert has given you sound advice. To balance out the different sides I would go to ebay, or a local used computer store and pick up a 3Com 3C905B-TX NIC. They are bullet proof (Well close), have been around alone time (So they are well support), and go for $3 - $5 used. The are 10/100 and function in duplex, haft duplex, and auto modes. From Win 98 to the latest XP will reconnize it without a drivers disk. You DSL will max out at 6 mbs which is far below the 100mbs max of this card. I must admit it speeds thing up on your LAN when you are transferring between local computers. I do this when reinstalling software.
So that is the low end approach. Not pretty but it works.

Edited by acklan, 29 November 2005 - 09:01 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users