Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus Action leads to non-stop BSOD

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lennybird

lennybird

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 02:07 PM

Hello everyone (and Happy Thanksgiving!),

Two days ago, I got the antivirus action virus; I followed the steps on this site to remove it via malwarebytes--and successfully did. Woke up today, however, and the computer began acting strange--Java started all of the sudden (Since this was when Antivirus Action initially started, I rushed to end the process, but no use), then I instantly began running malwarebytes again. It discovered three infected files; two fake alert definitions, and one other trojan (really hitting myself in the head for not writing down exact names). Malwarebytes was running extremely slow for some reason, and my computer was behaving radically. I'm running XP Home - SP3, and the screen froze for a second, and then went to the classic 98 or older era windows template--then went back. Then it did it again a half hour later and remained in that state. Before I started scanning with malwarebytes, I received a Win32 HOST process failure notification (where it asks to choose to send error info to Microsoft or not). After Malwarebytes finished scanning, it said it needed to reboot to delete certain files. So I did.

Here is where I ran into the BSOD. I chose safe mode, with/without networking, last known configuration, and boot normally--to no avail. I disabled automatic restart on error, and the BSOD posted:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xB84C7524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Also, when booting in Safe Mode, the system hangs on "MDFSYSNT.sys." A quick google search uncovers that this is some windows process to be able to read Mac files/formats? My computer only has NTFS partitions and a Windows installation. I do have a FAT32 iPod Shuffle and USB docking station...?

Furthermore, after MDFSYSNT.sys is listed, the bottom of the screen posts, "Press ESC to cancel loading SPTD.sys," then shortly after crashes. If I press Esc, nothing happens.

I'm running a futile chkdsk through the XP disk recovery console.

[edit]: CHKDSK /p finished, merely saying "CHKDSK found one or more errors on the volume." with a bunch of generic memory size information. No indication of what or where the errors are, and if they were fixed.

[edit]: I now understand that /f needs to be used; but this may take some time--and is it the root of my issue.

[edit]: After discovering this user's issue and results, I decided to start running a chkdsk /r in the recovery console. Will edit back with results

The number one priority is getting to my data and transferring it to a safe HDD; then I plan on performing a reformat anyway.

[edit]: I performed an XP repair installation off of the boot disk, but no luck; it takes a little longer for the XP loading screen to crash than before, and safe mode crashes at the same .sys file, only without SPTD.sys notification at the bottom.

What are my other options, here?

Thank you,
-Jake

Edited by lennybird, 25 November 2010 - 08:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 26 November 2010 - 01:19 AM

The number one priority is getting to my data and transferring it to a safe HDD; then I plan on performing a reformat anyway.

There are two options here:
  • "getting to my data and transferring it to a safe HDD; then I plan on performing a reformat"
  • getting the system cleaned up and running again

The first option is likely to be quicker.
Let us know which one you intend to pursue and whether you would like any help.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 lennybird

lennybird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:00 AM

There are two options here:
  • "getting to my data and transferring it to a safe HDD; then I plan on performing a reformat"
  • getting the system cleaned up and running again

The first option is likely to be quicker.
Let us know which one you intend to pursue and whether you would like any help.

Well, if you wouldn't mind, could you guide me through option 2? At that point, I'd prefer making a decision on whether I should reformat or not once I have my stable system back up and running; that is of course unless you highly advise just performing option 1.

Many thanks for your reply and time,
-Jake

Edited by lennybird, 26 November 2010 - 03:00 AM.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:09 AM

Well, if you wouldn't mind, could you guide me through option 2?

The procedure here, is that I make a request for an experienced member of staff (Malware Response Team member) to assist you. Chances are good that you will receive a response within 24 hours, but I make no guarantees. That person will then work with you to clean up your system and get it running again. Every effort will be made to achieve this, but there are no guarantees, again.

If you choose to go that route, then I would still recommend that you back up any important data you may have, before you begin, and while you are waiting for a response.

Let me know if you wish to proceed with option #2, and if you wish for any help with retrieving and backing up your data.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 lennybird

lennybird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:20 AM

Let me know if you wish to proceed with option #2, and if you wish for any help with retrieving and backing up your data.

I wish to proceed with option #2; in the meantime, I will pursue attempting to back up and transfer data--I assume pulling my HDD out and slaving it on another computer would be one of the better ways? If I can get additional help backing up my files, that's great, if not--I understand.

I also understand time constraints and will wait patiently for your help, but on a personal level, I am striving to get my computer up and running by Sunday; so in the meantime, I will continue trying different things on my end. Again, thank you for the response.

-Jake

Edited by lennybird, 26 November 2010 - 03:22 AM.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:33 AM

I wish to proceed with option #2; in the meantime, I will pursue attempting to back up and transfer data--I assume pulling my HDD out and slaving it on another computer would be one of the better ways? If I can get additional help backing up my files, that's great, if not--I understand.

Request for assistance has been submitted.

Yes, slaving the HDD in/to another computer will do the trick nicely. Please ask if you need help with anything specifically, and I will attempt to assist you ... until your expert help arrives.

Edited by AustrAlien, 26 November 2010 - 03:34 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 lennybird

lennybird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:28 AM

Great, thank you.

Yes, slaving the HDD in/to another computer will do the trick nicely. Please ask if you need help with anything specifically, and I will attempt to assist you ... until your expert help arrives.

Good news is that I can access my files while slaving. While I can probably (providing old comp's motherboard) hook up my other secondary storage HDD up to the backup computer and transfer the files to an entirely separate HDD, will transferring the files to the other partition that does not have the XP OS installed on it work just as smoothly?

Thanks

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2010 - 01:32 PM

will transferring the files to the other partition that does not have the XP OS installed on it work just as smoothly?

It may work just as smoothly but I strongly recommend that your important files be backed up to an entirely separate HDD for safety.

I am striving to get my computer up and running by Sunday; so in the meantime, I will continue trying different things on my end.

I understand that you would like to get the system up and running ASAP, but caution you against doing anything that may make the situation more complicated or worse, before you receive assistance.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:27 PM

via a PM ...

lennybird
Sent Today, 05:25 AM

AustrAlien,

Please cancel my request for assistance; backing up my files ran more smoothly than I thought it would, and I just preformed a full reformat of the partition (though, unfortunately my drive letters are a little scrambled, now).

Oddly enough, though, after I took my two HDDs out and transferred all my important files to the secondary drive while being slaved in my other computer, when I only put my corrupted OS hdd with the two partitions back in my computer, it began booting and continued with the XP repair install I did earlier. I didn't change anything except for a few cuts/copies & pastes.

Thank you,
-Jake

Edited by AustrAlien, 27 November 2010 - 03:28 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:03 PM

lennybird says:

I just preformed a full reformat of the partition (though, unfortunately my drive letters are a little scrambled, now).

Do you mean that your system drive is now no longer shown as C drive ?

If that is the case I would recommend formatting and re-installing the OS again. It is easier to do it now rather than later. If you choose to continue with the system drive being designated something other than C, you will probably experience some difficulties later on, and regret it.

Edit: As for the other drives/drive letters, they can be changed at any time.

Edited by AustrAlien, 27 November 2010 - 04:05 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users