Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DDS.SCR "Choose the program..."?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 timetourist

timetourist

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:19 PM

I am sure this has been covered, but I am new and can't seem to find my way around. I have been looking tho'

I am prepping to eliminate the Alureon virus. Going thru the recommended steps. On step 7. Downloaded DDS.scr. Tried to run it, but my computer asks me which application I would like to use to run it. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 timetourist

timetourist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:20 PM

Sorry about posting that here...I was overjoyed about finally getting in and jumped the gun....I'll try to post elsewhere.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:30 PM

Hello, I have combined your posts and Moved them to the Am I Infected forum.

I need to know your Operating System.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 timetourist

timetourist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 02:32 PM

I am running xp pro 2002 sp2

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 03:15 PM

Go here to Doug KNox's Windows® XP File Association Fixes
Run 9th down on left... EXE File Association Fix ... the EXE not EML one.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 timetourist

timetourist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 03:22 PM

Thanks.....found it......ran it.....successfully...then re-ran dds.scr. Still same problem.

Please send another suggestion.

#7 timetourist

timetourist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 04:17 PM

I am not sure my last post was listed here. I found the solution at DougKnox's site a few lines down under the repair for "SCR" extensions. But the virus was advancing too fast. I was holding it off with deep freeze, but after thawing, things went down hill fast. The system began to lock up shortly after boot. I am now re-installing the os. Thank you for your help.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:14 PM

Sometimes malware will be too fast. Thanks for the update.

2 guidelines/rules when backing up

1) Backup all your important data files, pictures, music, work etc... and save it onto an external hard-drive. These files usually include .doc, .txt, .mp3, .jpg etc...
2) Do not backup any executables files or any window files. These include .exe/.scr/.htm/.html/.xml/.zip/.rar files as they may contain traces of malware. Also, .html or .htm files that are webpages should also be avoided.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users